Options

CCIE Security v4 lab equipment

hhasundhhasund Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just passed CCIE Security Written, and finally started looking at the lab setup. I just realized that the v4 setup has software and equipment that I have not used yet. I have not yet played around with IPS v7 or ASA V8.2 and up (not supported in Dynampis).
I have no chance of getting my hands on an Ironport S-series appliance, and I don't even know what ISE 3300 is (ok, I'm exaggerating, but still...)

Even if I quit work and focused only on the v3 syllabus up until November, there are no labs available before v4 is out.

So my question is, how can I prepare for the CCIE Sec v4 lab?

The way I see it, I have to wait until the Rack Rental sites upgrade their equipment, and that may take time. I still haven't found any that has the software versions that the v4 lab are going to run.

I am really bummed out, since I had hoped to finish the lab before New Year.

Comments

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    From what I've seen, it looks like rack rentals or working for an organization that has a lab with the equipment are the ways to go right now. It's the same with data center. Hopefully, R&S doesn't get prohibitively expensive when they transition to IOS 15.
  • Options
    and36yand36y Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any ideas when they plan transition to v 15.

Andy
    Studying CCIE R&S

Written passed, looking at lab towards end of 2013
  • Options
    Dunno. I saw a mention of it in one of the CCIE threads in here, but it makes sense given the X800 ISR EOL and the crazy licensing schemes they have with ISR2. I PRAY, they seriously wisen up with either educational licensing or create a good IOU solution (it supports IOS 15). They've started to test the waters with IOU labs on the CCNA, CCNP Route, CCIP and CCIE. The cost isn't too bad on the learning network. The big limitation right now is layer 3 switching.

GNS3 is eventually going to hit a brick wall due to the hardware it supports (not to say it won't still have a practical application).

There's money in certs, I just wish Juniper and Cisco would develop lab solutions more. At least with Cisco, there is a reseller market. The ISR 1 series can support IOS 15, so it's not all doom and gloom.
  • Options
    and36yand36y Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any ideas how much notice cisco give for when they upgrade an exam...I'm working hard on my written and have just finished buying the kit for a V4 INE lab.. am I likely to run out of time due to cisco changing everything in 6 mon-12 months or do they give alot more notice..

Andy
    Studying CCIE R&S

Written passed, looking at lab towards end of 2013
  • Options
    Hmm, go on the web site and all of the info regarding the current and future exam.

I want to say I heard the new security lab exam is scheduled to start testing in November. The new written is beta testing. They usually refresh the exams every three years or so (except CCNA, that one is getting long in tooth).

But Cisco usually gives ample time in regards to when an exam is going to be EOL. The recent example are CCIE Security and CCIP.
  • Options
    hhasundhhasund Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have no problems with the fact that they are upgrading exams on a regular basis.
    The thing that frustrates me, is that they have added a lot of equipment to the lab that is impossible to get your hands on unless you work with a *big* reseller or something. I mean, what companies buy Ironports just to play around with?
    I understand that Cisco wants to add some of their new security stuff to the CCIE Security Cert, but I also think this will severly limit the chances of peolple like myself to be able to take the lab.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess.

Oh well, I guess I should just go back to CCIE RS studying. It's a shame, really. I liked Security som much better...
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Just to be clear, there is successful emulation of ASA, up to 8.4. I recommend browsing not only gns3.net, but also the other forum: 7200.emu.hacki.at. But I haven't looked into Ironport emulation, so I guess that you could do a bulk of your preparation, then for specifics, you could rent rack time. I know that I decided a while back that the Security track would more than likely be priced outside my reach unless I went the rack rental route, which doesn't lend itself well to the impromptu labbing and studying that is characteristic of my trying to take "any available minute" in order to get some studying in, when I'm preparing for a big test.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)