Options

Question for those that have recently studied for the CISSP

ranik00ranik00 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have just started to study more seriously so I take the CISSP on Aug 25. As I have do my studying I see that (ISC)2 changed the CBK some but I have not seen any new study material that reflects any of the changes. All the new books that I have seen don't come out until later this year or early 2013.

My question is will the books like the Shon Harris All-In-One 5th Edition and (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP CBK 2nd Ed. still be useful to help pass the exam. Or will I be better off waiting till later this year to take the exam?

Comments

• Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I used the Shon v5, Conrad V2, CISSP prep guide (2001 release date), and v10 seminar review book and I didn't see anything on the test that was foreign. You'll be fine with these materials . I'm sure others will agree.
  • Options
    JcastJcast Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed on June 26th. I used the Shon Harris material and CCCure tests exclusively and passed the first time out. I also have 25 years of IT experience. Since everyone's experience level differs I would suggest using some pre-testing to find out where your weakness lies and then strengthen those areas using the study materials you've identified. I suggest that you plan to invest 200 hours of review and self testing. Also, if you schedule the test via CBT at Pearson/Vue you can always postpone the test for a $20 fee if the testing date is approaching and you don't feel you're ready. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    !nf0s3cure!nf0s3cure Member Posts: 161 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would think that the books only gave you guidance, but it was your experience that saw you through the exam.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ISC2 appears to have added a couple of new definitions, updated a couple of domain titles and dropped some of the very old deprecated technologies in telecom. Other than that its not the complete rewrite that people have feared it would be. Relax!

- beads
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My work paid for it, but I attended the Training Camp (ISC2 authorized training partner) CISSP bootcamp and managed to pass with no other outside studies. Don't get me wrong, I killed myself that week (12-14 hour days x 6), but if you can swing it, I highly recommend a bootcamp.

I do NOT recommend doing what I did, but live and learn. FWIW though, the Shon harris books came up repeatedly in class, so if I were to study it again, I would not hesitate in purchasing them.
  • Options
    ThistlebackThistleback Member Posts: 151
    Mrock4:

I studied Shon Harris and attended boot camp. Combined with my long experience in the banking industry, it was all I needed. I used Shon Harris' practice tests that were included with the book. All told my prep took less than 3 months - most of it concentrated in the last six weeks before the test.
    Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Absolutely. A week of a bootcamp I don't think it's so much the bootcamp that helps, but the sheer amount of hours around the material. I got more studying in that week then I would have on my own in a month.
  • Options
    theenigmacodetheenigmacode Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took CBT CISSP exam today and passed. Mostly used CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional Study Guide by James M. Stewart, Mike Chapple and Darril Gibson , ISC2 CBK and few tests including cccure. Personally, I found the test wasn't that difficult. It was too long to challenge your patience and concentration. Also, there were few questions which an individual will be answered if he/she has experience in Infosec.