Tough time understanding topic

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been going through a tough time understanding the subnetting aspect in Tom Lammle's CCNA study guide. Have this topic or any other topic have brought you down to the point you ask yourself "if Cisco is right for me and/or is it worth getting the CCNA?

Comments

• oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Frame Relay so far has been the only thing I've thought like that on. But study, study, study and I will understand it :)

Subnetting is a weird one.. I think a lot of us struggled (including me) at first, but I went and watched the CBT nugget videos on it, after practicing it for a few hours it became easy. Now I'm confident with it, don't need to write it all down and can do it in the head.

I would highly suggest watching videos on subnetting as it will probably help out a lot.

But don't let it get you down, just keep at it :D!
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    I agree with Oli, practice is the key. After I did about 100 subnetting questions, then I started to get the hang of things.
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here some free videos on subnetting - from YouTube-
    Cisco CCNA 1 - Networking Fundamentals - YouTube
  • xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    I personally wouldn't worry if you don't grasp subnetting to start off with. Alot of people have had the same problems, and although being able to subnet is pretty important, you should in no way take it as a sign that you are not cut out for CCNA/networking etc if you don't pick it up immediately. I'm sure there are even CCIE's out there, or people very high up in the networking profession, that have had the same difficulties. Keep at it and i'm sure you'll crack it!
  • Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, I am blown away! Thank you everybody for the support.
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    Yeah, a lot of people struggle with even the concept of subnetting at first. You'll get the hang of it, just keep up your studies and think about it/practice it when you get the chance.

It's one of the most fundamental areas, but you'll constantly get better with it over time the more you spend with it. I don't think it's hardly something you'll instantly be confident with. :)
  • zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Honestly it could be the material. I am not hating on Lammle because I have the Sybex book and think it is really good, but I would recommend getting Chris Bryant's course. I think he is the best in the business as far as subnetting instruction goes. Actually I think he is the best in the business as far as all CCNA training goes. That is just personal preference and opinion though, but the main point is that you might be struggling because you are not relating with the material so try another one.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mate, http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html this is one of the best subnetting write-ups, ever. If you're having a difficult time, this will truly help. I wasn't quite understanding subnetting at first - actually I was almost tearing my hair out because of it. I would read from Todd's book and almost get it and then it would disappear from my brain. Then, I read this thread and thwack, it clicked. Before you know it you'll be on subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online and you'll be answering questions in no time.

Just remember that practice is the key on this subject. The more you practice the quicker you'll become in answering the questions. After doing subnetting for a couple of days you may not even need paper, you'll see the mask and be able to remember the range off the top of your head. It may seem like a far fetch, but believe me, practice and it'll work.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    zrockstar wrote: »
    Honestly it could be the material. I am not hating on Lammle because I have the Sybex book and think it is really good, but I would recommend getting Chris Bryant's course. I think he is the best in the business as far as subnetting instruction goes. Actually I think he is the best in the business as far as all CCNA training goes. That is just personal preference and opinion though, but the main point is that you might be struggling because you are not relating with the material so try another one.
    Gotta say that I fully agree. Love Chris Bryant.
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    I bought the Chris Bryant E-book study guide, so cheap :o Was like 1/6 of the price of the official Cisco ones. Read some of the Odom book, want to read the Bryant one; but the thought of sitting at my PC for hours reading is icon_sad.gif As it's not a PDF either I can't put it on my iPad or anything.

I hear it's less detailed but easy to understand (which I kind of want :p)
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
    Yeah, I don't much like how he uses the .exe ebook. Makes it so people don't pirate it, but it also takes away from it's usefulness. Wouldn't be able to read it in linux and can't read it on my Kindle in bed.