Local DLCI vs. Global DLCI rant

YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey all--

The concept of the Global DLCI just clicked in my head, and I wanted to come here and rant about how confusing it was for me, and actually wasted a bunch of my study time. So essentially the concept of a 'Global' DLCI would really only be given by an ISP in order to make the documentation look cleaner? For n00bs like myself who don't have that mindset, seeing the 'global' DLCI makes it look like I'm mapping the remote IP address to the remote DLCI, when in fact the 'global' DLCI is the local DLCI all along - Because the DLCI's are always local.

Wow - You ever have a moment when you learn something and can almost feel a new wrinkle forming in your brain?? That just happened for me.

Comments

• CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know what you mean, it confused me as well when I was beginning to learn about frame relay.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    This is why I love Jeremy Ciora's stuff when starting off studying. He explains important concepts like these really well, which saves alot of time later on when you go into more detailed study.
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    This confused me at first also. Couldn't believe I had spent that much time thinking about it after I actually figured it out icon_wink.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was clueless on frame relay until I heard Jeremy's airport terminal analogy. It's the best.