Which actual router modesls user in CCENT\CCNA exam sims

steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

I am setting up GNS3 to get a bit of experience configuring routers, and "play along" when reading the books and watching videos.

I have access to any Cisco IOS I need legitimately through my work, and am curious which one is most accurately compared to those in the actual exams.

Is this information available? Much appreciated.

Comments

• oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Its a simulation so they limit you on what you can do in the CLI..

At the end of the day 99.9% of the things are the same on how you do them unless its a really old IOS version. So just use like the c3600 series IOS 12.4 in my opinion.

You will probably just find more command options on these compared to my routers I use (1760s), but you will not be using them anyway..
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    When I was preparing for the CCENT/CCNA, I mainly used the 12.4t IOS on all my routers. This IOS provides all the commands you need to learn (and a WHOLE LOT more).
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    it's a simulation. nothing more but basic commands. the only exams that use an actual IOS platform would be the CCIE lab exams, since they're run on real hardware. however, that being said, the CCNP exams are based of IOS 12.4T as stated before, so that's a good place to start.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I really wouldn't worry about that. As 4_lom mentioned, you do need to be using at least 12.4 to be able to use the commands the CCENT and the CCNA exam will be testing you on.