CCENT or Security+ Next?

So I currently have my A+ and Network+ (just got it last month) and really want to get into Networking. Not sure on the specifics, but CCENT and CCNA seem to be the exams to finish off first and then get a focus.

I was going to go ahead and get my Security+ to finish off the "CompTIA triad", but I've had second thoughts lately. Would Security+ be a good next step if I'm just going to get into Networking, not any Security field at all? Wouldn't it be good to hold off on Security+ for another year or two so when I do finally pass it I get everything else renewed in one step?

I see so many people with A+, Network+, then instead of seeing Security+ next, I see CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, etc. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else was (or is) in this situation and has any pointers. Thank you so much!
Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Personally I would stop the CompTIA's and go for the big boys. CCNA would be my suggestion.

You have your amature certifications out of the way. Now it's time to become a professional. :)
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    If you're looking to get into networking, go for the CCENT. There's a lot of overlap between the CCENT and the Network+ so it would benefit you more to hit it while the N+ was still fresh in your mind
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're completely unfamiliar with Security terminology the Sec+ might be a good idea, because it would be a quick get for you. There is huge overlap between Network+ and Security+, as Security+ is probably 60% networking-related.

In terms of how much weight security+ carries in the field of IT security? Zero, unless you're getting a DoD job at which point it would be required for an L1 position I believe. I would personally just move on to your CCNA, and if you have an interest in network security you can always get the CCNA: Security and round back to Security+ if you feel you need it later.
  • boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm glad I have the Security+ as it got me the job I have now but the only reason I really took it is because it waived a really boring network security class for my AA (I've since become more interested in Security and plan on working towards my CCNA Security after I finish at WGU). I found it to be pretty easy after having just taken the Network+. That being said, I think you're better off going for your CCNA at this point. Invest the money you would spend studying/passing the Sec+ on your CCNA studies and I think it will pay off better for you.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    I moved onto Cisco after Network+ because as stated before, CompTIA certs don't hold their weight with hiring managers even though HR calls for them. The only reason I'm going for Security+ is because it's integrated with my WGU degree AND it is required by the DoD directive. Since I've already cleared Network+ and CCNA Security, it's no brainer just to take to round it out. If you're not planning to work for the public sector, don't spend the cash.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would do the CCENT, then the CCNA, then the Security+. I feel like I got more out of the Security+ after the experience of the CCNA.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
  • RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    If you've got the funds just go for both. There's enough overlap between the three comptia certs that you probably have enough knowledge to pass the sec+ exam without any additional studying. Then you can turn your attention to the Cisco certs which will require some serious studying.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Nytrocide wrote: »
    So I currently have my A+ and Network+ (just got it last month) and really want to get into Networking. Not sure on the specifics, but CCENT and CCNA seem to be the exams to finish off first and then get a focus.

I was going to go ahead and get my Security+ to finish off the "CompTIA triad", but I've had second thoughts lately. Would Security+ be a good next step if I'm just going to get into Networking, not any Security field at all? Wouldn't it be good to hold off on Security+ for another year or two so when I do finally pass it I get everything else renewed in one step?

I see so many people with A+, Network+, then instead of seeing Security+ next, I see CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, etc. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else was (or is) in this situation and has any pointers. Thank you so much!

Based on your desires, it makes more sense to go for CCNA, CCNP, ... etc. It only makes sense to go for the Security+ if you're going for a job that requires it (such as DoD, as previously mentioned.) In my case, I didn't get Security+ until I needed it for a job. (I have advised people to get the CompTIA triad in the past, but to be honest, you'll get more attention for jobs if you go for higher level Cisco or M$ certs starting out.)

Security knowledge is useful, but you can read up on it, and Cisco offers security certifications, and there are some you can get that carry a bit more weight than Sec+. (To my knowledge, Sec+ is only big because of 8570 requirements: DoD 8570 Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program , this matrix here makes Sec+, CEH, and CISSP the best three to pick up, due to the potential coverage they offer for a variety of positions.)

If you need an idea about what certs you should or should not be getting, the best thing to do is to pull up the search engine on a job site, and see how many job hits you can get for the cert of your choice. Security+ will probably show up with tons of hits, but keep in mind its usually set up to be paired with something else.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    After all this advice I think I'll focus my studies on CCNA/CCENT. Maybe I'll end up taking Security+ in 2 years or so to renew my other certs as well.

Thank you so much to everyone who took time out of their day to help steer me in the right direction, it really means a lot. See you in the CCNA/CCENT section! icon_cool.gif
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    YFZblu wrote: »
    If you're completely unfamiliar with Security terminology the Sec+ might be a good idea, because it would be a quick get for you. There is huge overlap between Network+ and Security+, as Security+ is probably 60% networking-related.

Like YFZ said
    If you are new to security, or even if you dont work in security but want a foundation in it then sec+ is a good way to go.
    CCENT is great for many things, networking in general, network admin, engineering, system admin etc
    If you need/want the security basics, go for sec+
    else ---> go for CCENT
    meh
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    of coz, ccna
    ccna opens more doors for jobs
  • gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    Im having a hard time myself studying for security+ really dry and boring. I started looking at CCNA practice exams. Much more interesting and wanting to pursue it because network+ is still fresh in my head and rather spend that money on something that will get the most bang for the buck and that's CCNA.
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    I would do the CCENT, then the CCNA, then the Security+. I feel like I got more out of the Security+ after the experience of the CCNA.

^1+ this is the route I'm on right now, reading my ICND2 book now and then I plan on testing for both, one exam at a time.... and then Security+ it is.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have gotten exactly 0 out of my Security+ certification. I would urge against it unless you have some specific reason to get it. It has never even been mentioned by a perspective employer.
  • DiggsDiggs Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nytrocide wrote: »
    After all this advice I think I'll focus my studies on CCNA/CCENT. Maybe I'll end up taking Security+ in 2 years or so to renew my other certs as well.

Thank you so much to everyone who took time out of their day to help steer me in the right direction, it really means a lot. See you in the CCNA/CCENT section! icon_cool.gif

I was in your same shoes and decided to go the CCENT / CCNA route then look at Sec+.

Also I could be wrong but I think if you get your CCNA (maybe even the CCENT) it renews your other certs for 3 years...I don't think it will be necessary to renew them if you continue moving up in certifications.
    Diggs wrote: »
    I was in your same shoes and decided to go the CCENT / CCNA route then look at Sec+.

Also I could be wrong but I think if you get your CCNA (maybe even the CCENT) it renews your other certs for 3 years...I don't think it will be necessary to renew them if you continue moving up in certifications.

good advice. by the way what made you get your MTA networking?
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:

• DarthVaderDarthVader Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCNA will mean much more in the job market than Sec+.

However, many organizations woant to see some security competence in addition to your core competency (ie. Networking). Sec+ is a pretty easy exam if you have any understanding of IT security. Might as well just do both.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd get the CCENT, then go for Security+

It's good to have some type of well roundedness. Even if all you're interested in is network... but even then there's a LOT of networking information to be had. Looking at all the information is just mind boggling, and fills me with a sense of "awe". And then, knowing what I know - I know there's just so much more I don't know and haven't seen yet.

It's like watching this:
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I personally would go for the CCNA then Security+. Like some members have mentioned already, the CCNA usually carries more weight.
    good advice. by the way what made you get your MTA networking?

Mostly the request of my employer for a MS specific networking certification - Was done more or less right after my A+ exam
    Diggs wrote: »
    Mostly the request of my employer for a MS specific networking certification - Was done more or less right after my A+ exam

would you take 70-642 also

Not too sure yet....we'll see after I get my CCNA and Sec+
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    This is a great thread. It made up my mind on skipping sec+
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
    yup made me skip also...

• NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    Same...CCENT is next!
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OK, so you said you want to focus on networking, right? So, seeing you took Network+, you're next certification should be the CCENT. I'd recommend doing CCNA in 2 tests unless you're already working on CISCO daily. Once completed, rather than focus on Security+ how about CCNA Security?

As a side note, CISCO offers the CCT, a entry level course. It focuses on networking fundamentals, basic command line stuff & it teaches CISCO router & switch hardware. It's the CISCO equivalent of the A+ exam. You'll learn the difference between a CISCO 6509 & a Catalyst 2900. It teaches you things like network modules, service modules, etc.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agree with RK

Less is more with CompTIA's. Unless you have a specific reason skip Security +, I would suggest that with most CompTIA's.

To get back on track CCNA>CCNA Security if you want to go that route.