thinking of biting the bullet and taking CCent for 75 bucks over the weekend.

gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
hey guys,

saw there was a voucher for ccent for 75 bucks but i have to take it by the 8th. To be honest security+ bores me studying for it. and I think i need to step it up to the big boys and get the ccent for a steal of a price.. what do you guys think especially since I just took the network+ last month..
WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Have you been studying the CCENT material at all?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds rather strange. I've done it before but it usually doesn't fare well for me. I got away with it once on short notice with MS Project 2010, but failed several others using that strategy.

Good luck if you decide to take it.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you can't navigate Cisco IOS and perform basic device-setup commands, you will fail miserably. Just an FYI before you spend the money.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah there are labs in it. I downloaded the WGU material because I have to take it next month or so. I got my CCNA more than ten years ago so I have to study all over again but at least I am comfortable with the basic networking concepts so it should not be that bad.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    while Network+ and CCENT share the same underlying THEORY, they differ in the fact that CCENT focuses on basic CLI and Cisco SDM configuration. If you don't know the difference between User mode, Privileged mode, and Global Configuration mode, you will have issues.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You'll most likely fail, but you'll get to see how the Cisco exams are like. Is that worth $75? That's something you should decide.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    You'll most likely fail, but you'll get to see how the Cisco exams are like. Is that worth $75? That's something you should decide.

IMO the Boson exams would be a better value in that case - It'll cost about the same amount of money and the OP will get ~150 practice questions in the Cisco exam format with a graded test focusing on weaknesses.

And of course, no time wasted going to the testing center.
  • gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    Have you been studying the CCENT material at all?

Yes i have but i know I'm not ready for this test.. I even changed my major at WGU to network design and mgmt because I don't touch the cisco routers at work at all. I just mostly deal with the 2008 and 2003 servers and the management. I felt like that major was more in line with what i did.
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:

• RakuraiRakurai Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck if you do, I am wanting to take both the tests in the next 3 weeks, I would hop on it for this weekend, but i have to work 12 hour days this weekend
  • CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    Why waste your money? Study at bit more and make sure you 100% pass.
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't waste your money. These vouchers come around every month. Hit the books, study and wait for next months voucher to come out.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you aren't ready, don't take the test. At any price.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Just go ahead and do it! I was in the same situation a month ago when I saw $75 vouchers on sale. I thought I wasn't prepared and was going to fail, but I passed with a decent score. The test was easier than I expected and I underestimated my knowledge and common sense :)
    Now, I also was going to do ICND2 on 07/07, but figured that this time it would be truly a waste of money. I'm still studying STP, WANs and NAT. There is no way I could master these topics in just two days.
  • EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    $75 for an attempt or $100+ for practice tests i'd rather take a test and fail then pay for practice tests. But i do believe trying to do your boot camp to try and pass will fail. study for a month and buy it next month when the voucher comes out again
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    yea thanks .. even 75 dollars i can't afford to scrimp up right now . money is tight so i can't take a chance on failing it.. and lose out on 75 bucks lol..