Options

Got a call from "Microsoft" lmao

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
Stating that my computer is infected with, and I quote, "deadly viruses".

I toyed with the guy a little and then it got old.

He kept saying "ok" after every sentence to make sure I was listening.

Comments

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow , were they trying to sell you anything? Maybe you got a spam social engineering type phone call.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    They've been doing this for a couple of years now, but seems to be happening a lot more as of late.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    Wow , were they trying to sell you anything? Maybe you got a spam social engineering type phone call.

I think they ask for remote access to your PC so they can remove 'deadly viruses' , and then request a credit card number for payment.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe they are taking a real advantage over what the news stations are saying about this DNS virus floating around.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah I had the same thing happen, Microsoft is awesome. I gave them my credit card number and my debit card along with my SSN and my birth certificate. Very nice gentlemen from overseas. Only problem is when I went to check out at the grocery store tonight my credit card and debit card declined. The virus must of spread to their computers as well.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Microsoft do call me every year for technet renewal, and they ask for credit card details, I always tell them that I will renew online . .
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    lol, if they called me, after they got access to my pc, id tell them that my system opened a backdoor into their system, and fortunately for them, I found "deadly viruses" on their PC and I will remove for a small fee.
  • Options
    X10MMXX10MMX Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I tell them I own a mac(I actually do) after about 10 minutes... That stumps them... they dont know what to say and hang up..
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you tell them "Yes, I know. I have this nasty virus called the Windows operating system!" :) (kidding).

I have heard of this scam a few times before. They claim they are from AOL, Microsoft..any number of other places. What's sad is I am sure they get people that don't understand and think they are legitimate.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Step 1) Sound very excited and tell them you are so glad they called
    Step 2) Tell them you definitely want their help and that you need to find your wallet
    Step 3) Set phone next to a radio (don't want them to think you hung up)
    Step 4) Check back in 60 minutes to see if they are still waiting
    Step 5) If they are still there, repeat starting at step 1
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I doubt they would wait more than a few minutes. Time could be spent finding a real victim. My office has people who call in asking what kind of printers we have and by the time it's transferred to me, they usually hang up. Notice, they call everyone except the IT person.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,036 Admin
    I wouldn't be surprised if the people hired to do these "help desk" scams are just as gullible as their victims. Try asking for his CCN to clean the "deadly viruses" off his computer. I'd love to hear a recoding of that conversation.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    There are a couple of these on YouTube.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @JDMurray

From my understanding the people doing the scams don't even know what VMs are.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Maybe they are taking a real advantage over what the news stations are saying about this DNS virus floating around.

I've had so many people ask me about this. So tired of explaining; I now simply say, "Don't worry about it."
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    This reminds me of a call my friend received a few years back (remembering this the best I can). Already a natural by toying around with debt collection calls.

One day whilst we were playing UT 2004 on LAN (good times); he gets a call and says, "Oh hi Mom". I imediately raise an eyebrow as he says to me, "Hey, listen to this." Puts the phone on speaker and asks how the weather was up there. He imagines its pretty cold (it was summer). 'Mom' says its quite nice actually. Unfortunately though she is having trouble paying some hospital bills and needs some financial help. Right after this his youngest daughter comes into the room, which gives him an idea. "Hey Mom, Kiera wants to know what God is like." Mom is suddenly puzzled. He says, "Seeing how you've been dead for five years, you must have meet him by now. ....Click...

More to the convo. Had her on the line for quite some time. Also, proved it was a scammer, not just a miss dialed number.