EULAs

PetrinodaPetrinoda Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys. I'm starting my own business up and was wondering if any of you could help me with this. I've been trying to find EULAs for a computer repair business and I haven't been able to find any. I was just wondering if any of you knew where I could find one to edit and use it.

Thanks

Comments

• J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    EULA's are generally for software.

A quick Google search found several examples.

Sample EULA
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats and good luck on your new venture. Its always exciting and terrifying at the same time to start a business.

I think that you are probably needing a Limitation of Liability and Statement of Warranty not a EULA. Try searching for those instead.
  • PetrinodaPetrinoda Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    Congrats and good luck on your new venture. Its always exciting and terrifying at the same time to start a business.

I think that you are probably needing a Limitation of Liability and Statement of Warranty not a EULA. Try searching for those instead.

Thanks Paul. I'll be doing it all. Getting the LLC in my state, statement of warranty for my services rendered, and a EULA that they sign before I start working on their computer. Just in case you know? I heard it was a good idea to have a EULA in this type of business because you're the first one to get blamed if something goes wrong. Even after everything is said and done.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    An LLC is good idea, I have only ever used LLC's for real-estate ventures but I do understand that some states have more protective LLC regulations. For previous consulting in the past, I am more familiar with incorporating an S or C corp. For corporations, I stick with Delaware since it's easier and the tax burden less complicated.

Realistically though, if your clientale are going to be businesses - and you have good relationship management, liability risks may be lower. But depending on the type of work, you may need to consider Errors and Omissions (E&O) insurance. Most small businesses should NOT need E&O insurance - take a quick look here - business - Do I Need Errors and Omissions Insurance? | Entrepreneur.com

In the type of business that you are doing - I have never come across a hardware vendor with a EULA (End-user license agreement) - unless they were providing software that they are developing (as @J_86 indicated)- what I normally see is a Limitation of Liability. Usually, if I am a customer and I have a MSA (master service agreement) - the MSA would define bill rates and service levels (i.e. the warranty) - and for each project - there maybe a specific Statement of Work agreement which outlines what work is being done, when it will be delivered, and how much it cost.

Here is decent explanation of what a Limitation of liability is - Limitation-of-Liability-Clauses

A good sample is here - Limitation of liability clause - The IT Law Wiki

That said - you may want to consult an attorney to help setup initial paperwork. Bring your own drafts and research first so that limits your expenses. A decent attorney can cost about 2K to help you setup the initial paperwork that you need but may be worth it in the long-run if you don't have experience with contracts.

Also - don't forget that as an LLC - you do have to prepare a K-1. You may want to think about a tax accountant. Although - most K-1's that I get look really simple to prepare if you are willing to do the work and research.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Friendly advice-Don't expect to make any money compared to the effort you'll be putting in. If you have actually done research on this, I am surprised no one would have told you this already. (parents, friends don't count.) I suggest reconsidering.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Computer repair = Make no money due to expenses of time and parts not to mention you have to become an authorized service partner if you want to do it right.

Computer servicing = Make money money, make money money money! All you do is fix software and add in parts and stuff. If you do it properly, you can make good cheese and do it out of your home if you have the right kind of workspace.