Options

Does you company invest in training for you?

2»

Comments

• Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't think any past employer of mine has put much value on certifications, other than screening potential candidates for an open position as a way to benchmark what we feel like their understanding and talent level should be, though all but one have reimbursed me for certs anyway. My recruiter told me that my certifications were viewed by my team as a positive, and even more so that I had the knowledge/experience to back it up. But they do not seem interested in paying for people to get certified... just training, if it is needed, and additional training on request if there is budget for it.

I took this job because I was bored at my last job and liked the idea of joining a company I knew would be growing for the forseeable future, and the large bump in pay was nice too :). The idiot factor is much higher though.

Yeah same here... my past employers didnt put any value on certifications...

My actual employer do put A LOT of value to our certifications... i mean its funny that when the client ask us but why we are soo expensive?? then he goes like because we got certified engineers thats why....
    Or then on a proyect when he is selling one he goes like remenber i don t think anyone else will give you good support like we do because we do have X number of engineers certified on professional level on that brand.... hahaha
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Wow they didnt?
    Im wondering what they will think when you get you CCIE? i mean with a CCIE you go be gone to another company for more money easy i guess hehe

Ill try getting my ACMX, i hope my boss pay me the bootcamp for that and the lab exam on las vegas hehe

They said they will pay me back after I passed my test. Although, I dont think they have a budget for a CCIE salary since there is a current Sr Network Engineer that will do the work for $105k - $120k.

Im sure they understand that after I passed my CCIE then I will leave if they cant offer me a CCIE salary.
  • Options
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    They said they will pay me back after I passed my test. Although, I dont think they have a budget for a CCIE salary since there is a current Sr Network Engineer that will do the work for $105k - $120k.

Im sure they understand that after I passed my CCIE then I will leave if they cant offer me a CCIE salary.

Well you never know... i have seen company trying to fight their employs heh...
    105k -120k sounds likes a nice salary heh
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Mine does. MCP, Net+, Security +, various Office and Adobe courses over the last four years and now VSphere 5 next month.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Mine pays the cert costs up front with no expectation to pay it back if you fail, they also pay for all training up front and anything you need. The only catch is if they pay, you stay :) they make you sign an agreement for a year to 'pay back' the cost of training/exams otherwise you'd be liable.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I laughed so hard I spit up my Grape Lemonade.

No.
    My employer doesn't pay for training. No reimbursement. No help.
    It's a solo trip for me. Except that they said I could use the tall rack in the server room for equipment I don't have, and only while i'm here.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Here they just pay you the first try...
    For my luck i always pass in the first try... :)
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    I'm am allowed a certain amount of money for training reimbursement every year. This could go towards tests, books, classes, etc. But the CIO has to approve of the training material first.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    I must have it good, I have a corporate CC and can expense anything I want as long as I have a receipt
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    drkat wrote: »
    I must have it good, I have a corporate CC and can expense anything I want as long as I have a receipt

Were you in that movie wallstreet?

I get ZERO funding. I am lucky they let me leave to take the exam. Count your blessings and take advantage of the opportunities while you have them. That being said, I consider myself to have a great job considering the pay, a little over 60k being 1 year out of college. Compared to my local peers, I appear to be ahead of the game. Whether that is true or not is debatable, I am sure.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My company doesn't even track the certs I got since I have been working for them lol.
  • Options
    I sometimes with I had zero funding though :) that means I dont have to take any certs haha
  • Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My funds any courses I want to, placed inside and outside company. The requirement is to do at the end of day my job.
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    drkat wrote: »
    I sometimes with I had zero funding though :) that means I dont have to take any certs haha

You can give me your funding ;)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My current job offers training on different Microsoft products but no certification/tuition reimbursement
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    I work for the government, and I get nothing. Not a single bit of assistance. If you are in a position that is covered under DoDD 8570 and has a requirement for certification, they will pay for your voucher, and then only once. Past that, they neither assist nor care about any other certifications.

I was in a position previously as a Client Systems Tech, which had a requirement for either an A+, Net+ or Sec+ in order to have elevated privileges on the network. I got my A+ on my own, so they were happy with that. Their network regulations say that I have to have at least Security+ in order to have the ability to use remote access tools on client machines, but they would not even pay for my voucher. They said that since I was already certified (at the minimum level mind you) for the position I was in, NO SOUP FOR ME!

I think the worst part is that, they have this requirement for us to maintain our certs (my A+ was a lifetime cert and they forced me to sign up for the Continuing Ed cert instead with CompTIA) but they aren't willing to do anything to help us maintain them. They won't pay for me to go to conferences, they won't pay for me to take classes, and when I asked how they expected us to achieve the minimum number of CEUs to keep the cert, the response I got was that they only intended to pay for one voucher every three years in order to allow me to retake the test.

Ridiculous. No allowance or assistance for growth and development.
  • Options
    kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My job pays $7000 a year for undergrad, and $15,000 for graduate degrees in your career field. One year of employment after graduation is required. All certs are reimbursable.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    My employer does have paid training for relevant things throughout the year, and I'm looking forward to Juniper training and transport gear training. My boss has also offered to pay for my CCIE Lab, but wants a 2 years commitment to remain with the company to do so, and I'm still debating it, as I have to pay for it next moth. On the one hand, I don't anticipate going anywhere, and if I decided to leave anyway, I'd just have to repay the money, but it's a matter of integrity. I'm not quite sure I want to have the potential to compromise my word just to save $1500.
  • Options
    My employer does have paid training for relevant things throughout the year, and I'm looking forward to Juniper training and transport gear training. My boss has also offered to pay for my CCIE Lab, but wants a 2 years commitment to remain with the company to do so, and I'm still debating it, as I have to pay for it next moth. On the one hand, I don't anticipate going anywhere, and if I decided to leave anyway, I'd just have to repay the money, but it's a matter of integrity. I'm not quite sure I want to have the potential to compromise my word just to save $1500.
    I dont think you should compromise yourselft just for 1500 bucks...
    and i bet you do a lot of money so i dont think you even need him to pay that....
    Maybe if he paid like a bootcamp or something like that but its just the exam?
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I dont think you should compromise yourselft just for 1500 bucks...
    and i bet you do a lot of money so i dont think you even need him to pay that....
    Maybe if he paid like a bootcamp or something like that but its just the exam?

Yeah, I make pretty good money. While paying $1500 out of pocket isn't a deal breaker (it's measurably less than a single paycheck), it'd still be nice to not be out of pocket for it.

The bootcamp is a separate issue. They are willing to do that, but as of right now, only with a trainer that will accept Global Knowledge credits. The trainer I want doesn't take GK credits, so I'm trying to get them to pry loose some Cisco Learning credits. If they'll cover the bootcamp and the lab exam fee, I'll make the 2 year committment in a heartbeat, as it shows demonstrable faith in me as an employee.

Anything else, and I have to think about it. The company gains by having me CCIE certified, but to commit that for 2 years when I've spent the last several years getting to that point on my own? I think I want more than a token investment before I make that commitment.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Previously, my last job funded cert exams. Previous jobs hardly sent me on any training or paid for any exams.

Now i am a contractor i can claim all of the costs back!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    On the one hand, I don't anticipate going anywhere, and if I decided to leave anyway, I'd just have to repay the money, but it's a matter of integrity. I'm not quite sure I want to have the potential to compromise my word just to save $1500.

I don't understand this thinking. You enter a contract with a company stating you'll work for them for x amount of month or pay them x amount of money. As long as you do either or some combination of both you've met your obligation.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I hear you. If my boss offered to pay for my lab, I'd flat out tell him no even if he didn't require a commitment. I know I don't plan on staying.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My employer reimburses for certs and classes...
    Goals for 2015: CCNP