Hardware for labbing

sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I was wondering how you went about selecting the right machine to use for labing? I want to vitrualise everything so need to upgrade my existing hardware so am finding it cheaper to look at a whole new computer/server.

What did you choose a workstation or server and why? Both high-end ones I have been looking into cost about the same, but servers are generally louder and bulkier (unless small form factor), I just want a box that I can keep with me going forward and can pretty much be treated awfully (not physically but with me making changes to virtual machine that may make things crash).

Would really like to have your input, I have been looking around on Dell's website and everything is really expensive, so I looked on a local computer companies site who custom build PC's but I'm more software based then hardware so not sure what I need as such.

So you know what I need to do, I want to run 2-3 Servers and 2-3 workstations, so maybe looking at 16GB of RAM as they won't all be running at one time.

Thanks in advance!

Comments