Good CCENT/CCNA Lab?

NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
First off, I have absolutely no experience whatsoever with Cisco equipment. I only have my A+ and Network+, so just basic, basic stuff. So when I look at all these certification kit sites/threads I'm always lost when people favor one model or version over another.

Money isn't a huge factor, I'm just looking for a lab that I can use as a foundation for career advancement for both the CCENT and CCNA and maybe build upon later for future certs. I was just looking at this package someone has...

Complete CCENT & CCNA *V2 Cisco Certified Network Professional Home Lab Kit | eBay

...would something like that be decent? Good price or overpriced? Sorry I'm so oblivious and thank you so much! icon_sad.gif
Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security

Comments

• JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used this as a guide

http://www.certificationkits.com/cisco-lab-suggestions/

Those 2950 switches can be had for 25 bucks a piece.
    The 2611 routers can be found for 50 a piece. I would personally shoot for 2621xm routers.

Building your own lab gives you great experience with the gear because you know what the components are, you learn from the buying experience.

For the CCeNT you can use packet tracer to hold you over until you gain the knowledge in what you need. I've been ordering here and there and all I need are the routers and brackets and I'm golden.

I was looking at kits too but learned so much more
  • NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    So you learned from packet tracer? Is the hardware that specific that different series do completely different things and are not simply upgrades to previous models? *total Cisco idiot* >_<

Edit: Is Packet Tracer only available to Cisco Academy folks?
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a simliar lab kit to the one you posted, but only two routers and two switches. I used it for the CCENT/CCNA. I would sell it with shipping in the lower 48 for $200
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    I wouldn't suggest buying pre-assembled kits. These are usually overpriced. For the CCENT/CCNA you could get by with a 3 2950's and 3 routers of your choice (2600's, 1700's, etc.) For the routers you will need WIC cards and the serial cables to go with them. It also helps to buy a large spindle of CAT5 cable so you can make your own.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You're better off with a software/simulator vs. real hardware for CCENT/CCNA. Higher amount of repetition is possible with software.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    4_lom wrote: »
    I wouldn't suggest buying pre-assembled kits. These are usually overpriced. For the CCENT/CCNA you could get by with a 3 2950's and 3 routers of your choice (2600's, 1700's, etc.) For the routers you will need WIC cards and the serial cables to go with them. It also helps to buy a large spindle of CAT5 cable so you can make your own.

When I was first learning this stuff I wasn't really interested in buying two routers for $40 each and two switches for $40 each then trying to source the correct cables and T1 WIC cards and make sure I got good equipment that would work the first time. For a tiny bit more money, you can focus on what you are trying to learn without pulling your hair out because of another problem and/or buying equipment twice because you bought the wrong stuff. For me, it was worth it.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    Yeah, that's my only fear. I know absolutely nothing and would rather just buy a package deal that's guaranteed to work or have a set list of things that would just work.

As far as software simulators, are Packet Tracer and GNS3 the only options? I see Packet Tracer is only for Academy members and I'd rather not go out and spend all that extra money just for something I could possibly get done with GNS3.

Thanks everyone for your responses so far! :)
  • zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I ended up buying hardware for my lab outside of a kit and sort of regret it. Sure, you learn from the experience, but learning can cost you money if you make mistakes. In my case it's not that big of a deal since I plan on going on to more advanced certs once I finish CCNA. But yeah, it could be easier to use a simulator or pay for the all in one kits. You think it's going to end up being cheaper buying individual parts, and it can be, but if you screw up then it can end up costing you a lot more. Also, if the kits really do come with everything you'll need it saves you from feeling nickel and dimed to death (brackets seem cheap til you start doing math, etc). Then again, the process of learning the simulator software and trying to find an IOS image just seemed like a huge waste of time to me.

You definitely learn things from hardware you won't from a simulator though. After having forgotten that you use a crossover to connect two switches, and then sitting there for 30 minutes banging my head against the wall trying to get two switches to talk.. I will never forget that again. You don't get that in the sim.
    Exactly what I've been thinking. How many routers/switches in a kit should I be looking for?
  • Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    Buy everything separate on Ebay! I saved a boat load of cash, upgraded the memory and got a warranty. Look for good deals. Plus you learn about models numbers and different types of Cisco equipment.
    I would, but I don't know what a good deal would be since I know nothing at all about the equipment icon_razz.gif
  • dtrujillo63dtrujillo63 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would recommend getting two Cisco 3550 Layer 3 Switches and one Cisco 2950 Layer 2 Switch, and one Cisco 2621XM router. Using this and the addition of GNS3 (router simulator) will get you through the CCENT, CCNA, and even CCNP.
    Completed: CCNA - CCNP

Studying: Preparing to start for CCIE
  • DiggsDiggs Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Certificationkits is a good source for determining what to buy. Take a look at their suggestions and then take a look around for the best price.

I would recommend 3-4 2600xm series routers with 2-3 2950 (c/g/t) model switches.

Would go with one of those model switches instead of the standard 2950 because I'm pretty sure you get the Enhanced Image with them (2950T etc)

Don't think it's necessary to get any multilayer switches (3550) yet...you wont need them until you go for your CCNP
  • AintRiteAintRite Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was in the same situation as you when I first joined this site but I didn't want to buy one of those expensive kits. What I did was looked through This Thread and found someone with a smaller lab that was working on the same thing as me and asked them for help building my lab through pm's. This guy was a savior and has went way beyond what he needed to do for me and is still helping me. Also as it has been said before, you should start shopping for the routers and switches (with help from someone of course) and you will learn so much more about the equipment than just buying a kit.
    WGU - BS: IT Security...in progress
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    zenhound wrote: »
    You definitely learn things from hardware you won't from a simulator though. After having forgotten that you use a crossover to connect two switches, and then sitting there for 30 minutes banging my head against the wall trying to get two switches to talk.. I will never forget that again. You don't get that in the sim.

You do realize about the only time you need a crossover cable is when working on your CCNA lab.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • nycidnycid Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    scored 2 2950's for $11 today on ebay.....
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    nycid wrote: »
    scored 2 2950's for $11 today on ebay.....
    You Americans are so lucky with your eBay prices, im jealous! No way on the English eBay I could get 2 for less than $60.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    You say that but I got both my 2950s for < £15. You just need to wait long enough (took my 6 months to build my lab) and you'll eventually get one where no-one bids till the last second and you can scoop in with £5.

Like so.

That said america has alot more cisco gear for cheap than the UK.
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    When I was first learning this stuff I wasn't really interested in buying two routers for $40 each and two switches for $40 each then trying to source the correct cables and T1 WIC cards and make sure I got good equipment that would work the first time. For a tiny bit more money, you can focus on what you are trying to learn without pulling your hair out because of another problem and/or buying equipment twice because you bought the wrong stuff. For me, it was worth it.

I understand your point but it's a great learning experience to piece together your own lab. You learn about different modules, cables, and models of networking equipment. You also learn about the features of different IOS sets. So yes, you could take the easy way and just buy a pre-assembled kit for a little bit more money, but in the long run it will benefit you to put more effort into building a lab.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

AintRite wrote: »
    I was in the same situation as you when I first joined this site but I didn't want to buy one of those expensive kits. What I did was looked through This Thread and found someone with a smaller lab that was working on the same thing as me and asked them for help building my lab through pm's. This guy was a savior and has went way beyond what he needed to do for me and is still helping me. Also as it has been said before, you should start shopping for the routers and switches (with help from someone of course) and you will learn so much more about the equipment than just buying a kit.

+1. Great response icon_thumright.gif

So just to get this straight...is a beginner CCNA lab meant to be connected to the internet, or is it meant to be local to go through labs (to start) being connected to a PC?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you do go with GNS3, avoid 2600 series IOS like the plague. GNS3 will constantly crash with it. The 3725 IOS is VERY stable.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out my new Blog (in my Sig below). I started a list of free stuff, online labs, ebook labs, etc.......

hth
    So I could have my laptop hooked up directly to it via serial and do labs without net necessarily, just controlling the equipment as is and creating a mock network?
    So I could have my laptop hooked up directly to it via serial and do labs without net necessarily, just controlling the equipment as is and creating a mock network?

Yes, you would use a rollover cable (serial cable) to set it up. Do you have a CCNA book yet? Lammle's (probably Odom's as well) goes through a lot of this and explains it.
    Just grabbed it yesterday on Amazon and it's arriving today. I'll read it a bit before I ask any additional stupid questions! icon_lol.gif
    Just grabbed it yesterday on Amazon and it's arriving today. I'll read it a bit before I ask any additional stupid questions! icon_lol.gif

Wasn't criticizing, just saying... ;)
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Nytrocide wrote:
    So just to get this straight...is a beginner CCNA lab meant to be connected to the internet, or is it meant to be local to go through labs (to start) being connected to a PC?

Lab environment is just meant for you to test out configuration and look at the effects of your actions. (testing, practicing, etc.) So, connecting your lab to the internet is just a plus, but not exactly 100% necessary.

For example:

You could have Router 1 connect to your ADSL/Cable modem via RJ-45 (ethernet) and use the rest of your equipment to build a topology that eventually connects to your Router 1. This way: you can test that all your equipment and computer can connect to the internet via Router 1.

in my opinion, that's an exercise you might do a couple times, but i wouldn't keep my lab on 24/7 just to route the internet. If you get what I mean.

So, it's up to you to decide whether you want to get equipment capable of routing your home internet or not. Focus your research on getting equipment adequate for the highest certification you want to achieve =) good luck!
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
    Yeah, I wasn't accusing you veritas_libertas, just noticed I've been running my clueless mouth like crazy on this section lately. icon_razz.gif

But to do most training labs I wouldn't need internet since it's mainly management/configuration?
    No, it is not. You are focusing on managing a network. Now could you set up a lab that would connect to the Internet, yes. In fact it seems to be a common thing for Cisco beginners to want to try. I played around with it in order to see how DNS and Cisco routers interacted.

What made you think it would be something you had to do? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question.