Options

Sans courses/certifications, are they worth it?

TomAtkinsTomAtkins Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Sans courses/certifications, are they worth it? They have a pretty hefty price tag, especially if you company is not paying (as is the case with me).

Has anyone taken one? Feedback?

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    if your company is NOT paying for them I would check out other cheaper options like OSCP for instance.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I thought the SANS Intrusion Detection class was probably the most interesting I've ever taken. BUT, I wouldn't have paid for it myself - although there are a few here who pay for their own SANS training by foregoing vacations, TV's, movies....etc. Just a matter of what is priority and what you enjoy I guess.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The certs are pretty awesome, I was pretty amazed when I got mine for the G2700. I actually hung it up, where my CEH and CHFI are in my binder in the closet lol.

I could probably "justify" the costs if I only pursued a couple of GIAC certs that focused primarily on my current career. A class and test every other year alternating renewing within the three year period. Tax deduction for the cost of the class.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think they are worth it for the pure learning experience. There is much to be said for consolidated information. As for the cost, its not even the cost of the course for me, but adding transportation, lodging, certification, food, ect. that is where it can kill any plans for a vacation, or a house...