Options

JBlakes PMP Study

jblake1986jblake1986 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I applied for and was accepted to take the PMP. I have a decent amount of project experience, but this is really my first dive into the certification side. I see more and more IT managers with this certification and since the role I have is the same I am going to work on this. I am looking to get some specific study material and base most of my studies around

Amazon.com: PMP Exam Prep, Seventh Edition: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam (9781932735413): Rita Mulcahy: Books paperback
Amazon.com: A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge: (Pmbok Guide,4e) (9781933890517): Project Management Institute: Books in a kindle version for while I am away from the book.

Are there any other resources people would recommend for this test?
Also what is the standard timetable for this test? I was thinking 6 months.
ICND1 Test Apr 23

Comments

• Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    i didnt even touch the pmbok, i used rita 7th edition for a brush up on the PMI'isms and andy crowe's complete kit for the ITTO's and other "meat and potatoes" portions of the PMI/PMP... the test from RITA are really close to the PMP style, but andy's company velociteach/insite were not close (came with a free access pass to his tests, but the ones in the book are better).

pmzilla is a great resource as well, check out chowdry's notes and the brainbok website for ITTO's. i took about 6 months, but the first 4.5 were wasted on me getting frustrated with wrapping my way of thinking to that of PMI, but don't waste your time on memorizing, you need to understand the processes and the key ITTO's and also the EV, Pert, etc...

this worked for me and I just passed the PMP today !
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UF great pass!

Way to pull through. I have the RMP lined up this Friday, unlike my PMP fail this should be a pass. I've been at it for 6+ months.
  • Options
    let me know how it goes, also what study information have you used? i am interested in the risk management and agile management ones , especially the agile since I did my masters thesis on agile project management methodologies and even devised a selection tool.

don't give up on the PMP.. just stick with the studying and just take it! if you fail it again just reschedule for another week later and cram again... for me, i had take mine sooner than i wanted (deploying to afghanistan at the end of the month) , but if i had failed on monday i would have scheduled for another week later and if i had failed again i would have scheduled for the end of the month... that would have been the 3 times in 1 year thing, but i needed to knock it out before i deployed.... luckily i remembered everything from the books (rita and crowe) and the last week of just reading crowe for the 3rd time really paid off.
  • Options
    jblake,

if you join the pmi you get a pdf copy of the pmbok for free from the pmi....no need to buy a copy from amazon...
  • Options
    jblake1986jblake1986 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have gotten through about 125 pages so far and honestly I really have enjoyed it. I expected it to be a little drier than what it is. I am looking to finish the book and then go back and do it again. If I feel good about the practice tests I will then schedule the live exam. Looks like I am shooting for mid fall for this test. On a side note I now manage all customer projects for the business I work for and feel that the reading will help tons.
    ICND1 Test Apr 23
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That's good progress. I am looking at doing my CAPM end of this year or early next year - I just need to finish off some MS SQL exams I have been putting off for way too long. The fact that you are actively in charge of projects should also assist in exam preparation as you can link what you do in real life to what you are studying.