DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
A quick one

I have started up tftp with the following config on red-hat
[root@machine tftpboot]# more /etc/xinetd.d/tftp 
# default: off
# description: The tftp server serves files using the trivial file transfer \
#       protocol.  The tftp protocol is often used to boot diskless \
#       workstations, download configuration files to network-aware printers, \
#       and to start the installation process for some operating systems.
service tftp
{
        disable = no
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
        server_args             = -c -s /tftpboot
        per_source              = 11
        cps                     = 100 2
        flags                   = IPv4
}

If i try to copy a file from a remote device it fails with permissions errors unless I set the permissions on the tftpboot path to allow all to read and write.

it also creates the files in there with the user nobody.
-rw-rw-rw-   1 nobody nobody 13088 Jul 11 21:56 5_1.cfg-rw-rw-rw-   1 nobody nobody 13892 Jul 11 21:55 5_2.cfg
-rw-rw-rw-   1 nobody nobody 12548 Jul 11 21:55 5_3.cfg

I thought the idea of the user varible in the config was to set who the service runs as.

I don't want to leave the tftpboot path with all users able to read/write. Can any one tell me how to get TFTP to read and write as a specific user?

cheers
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Never mind. I decided it was simpler to set permissions to only give read + write access to the user nobody, and deny all other access to the folder.

cheers
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.