Options

The need or 3+ routers for CCNA?

danielblackmoredanielblackmore Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am about to start my CCNA and doing some research it is suggested to have 3 routers and 2 switches to create more topoligies for your home lab.

Being quite new in this level of networking, I dont know why you would need 3 routers. Could someone explain why you need this amount of routers please and what the functions or scenarios could potentially be?

Do SME's have 3+ routers at 1 site? or is this to simlate something else like 1 router at 1 site and another router at another site etc?

Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but I couldnt find a simple answer at all.

Thanks in advanced, no arrogant answers please.

Comments

• Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I would say that you most likely will need three switches for STP labs. Three routers could also be useful if you want to connect one of them to the Internet and use the other two for frame relay.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would suggest three routers and three switches. You don't have to actually buy them. You can also use tools like Boson Netsim, GNS3, Packet Tracer, rack rentals, etc. Lots of options.

For which topics would three routers and/or switches make a difference? Let's see... RIPv1, RIPv2, Static Routes, OSPF, VTP, NAT, Frame Relay, EIGRP, IPv6, and STP.

You want a sample scenario? When you study VTP, you'll learn that a switch correctly configured in VTP Transparent mode will forward VTP messages without processing them. To test this--

VTPServer
    VTPTransparent
    VTPClient
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I really do think for CCNA level you are better served with PT. Looking back on my own toplogies from when I did CCNA, I was using 6-8 routers and as many as 8 switches.It is overkill for CCNA but just shows how flexible PT is. Alternatively you could use GNS3 for routing.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.