Options

List Of Masters Programs accepting WGU's B.S. IT

djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
It's mentioned quite a bit in this forum that because of WGU being regionally accredited, one has the opportunity to pursue a Masters after graduation at a traditional B&M University or College. What I have been unable to find, are cases where members are currently pursuing their Masters after WGU at a traditional B&M whether it be online or not.

So, theoretically speaking, would one be accepted to MIT, Stanford , or UC Berkeley after success with WGU?

What are some of the Universities or Colleges that the members here have had success with after attaining a Bachelors in IT after WGU?

Thanks for the input.
WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed

Comments

• Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    Penn State took it just fine. WGU is regionally accredited, so as long as you're otherwise qualified that's not going to be (much?) of an impediment.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It should be accepted by most, if not all relevant Master's programs. GMAT scores, GPA, and work experience may come into play, but the fact that it's an online degree will most likely not. Perhaps it would be a problem getting into Ivy League, but even there, I'm not so sure.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    I highly doubt "MIT, Stanford " because their ivy league and WGU is like tier 3, and they don't have a GPA system where admissions can tell your a good student.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    HLRS wrote: »
    I highly doubt "MIT, Stanford " because their ivy league and WGU is like tier 3, and they don't have a GPA system where admissions can tell your a good student.

Exactly-- more selective schools usually will want a GPA higher than 3.0 and WGU gives everyone. . . 3.0.

Second-tier state schools will usually take WGU grads without issue. Most WGU students can't afford or don't need a master's from a more selective school. WGU has a list of schools students have gone on to:
    WGU Alumni Community - Frequently Asked Questions

If a WGU grad is anxious to go into a "name" master's program, many schools accept high GMAT/GRE scores in lieu of high GPA.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    This is what I actually think gives WGU an advantage though. The tier system is partially based on the school's retention rates of their students. This is more than likely what puts WGU where it is as far as the tier system is concerned. I think if one graduated from a school with a lower retention rate, say in the 20-30% range, it makes that student all the more attractive for an upper tier University, as the student has already proven that they can endure a difficult program.

To my understanding, the eight Ivy League schools do not include any of the schools I mentioned in my post above, but after visiting Petedude's provided link, some examples of where WGU graduates have continued their education do in fact include Cornell, which is an Ivy League University.

I was just more or less curious to see if some of the WGU alumni from this forum have gone on to pursue a graduate degree from a B&M college; and if so, which one? What was the admissions process like?

Thanks for the continued participation in this discussion though. I'm sure it will help others as well.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Harvard? Stanford? I'm not really looking into dropping 6 figures on a masters degree. Read an article recently in either Forbes or Money magazine that shows the majority of students with an MBA from Stanford are never able to justify the cost of the degree vs. a student with an MBA from a lower tier school. Food for thought.