Options

New Job Offer...Need Advice

wakewake Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone first time posting but been browsing these forums the past few months. A little background about myself is that I'm currently still in school and will be receiving my BS in information systems next year (currently going to be a senior). I've work in IT since being a freshman from all types but mostly related to computer repair/system admin roles. I'm currently working for a small office aprox 25 employees doing system admin/web editing roles. The pay is good and they are flexible with my school schedule but for the past 2 months I've been feeling stressed about working there. We have 3 people on our IT team, one is the IT manager, graphic/web designer, and me. One problem is that our IT manager works from home and it is hard to get help on job tasks that I haven't experienced before. Another problem is that our graphic designer just quit and we hired a new person but he has just graduated and has less experience than me (I didn't know how he was qualified). Because of this I have a new responsibility of providing training for the new employee we hired. My biggest concern is that my main boss has very strict guidelines on the projects we have and I spend about 25-30% of my day just preparing for his meetings with him to discuss what I'm doing (which are useless). I have been getting lectures and getting the feeling that he wants to replace me. I'm basically trying to do a full time job in about 25 hours a week since that is my school schedule.

However, I have received a new job offered another internship in a field I am interested in. It's a farther commute and probably a little less pay but it will be a better environment and work I am more interested in doing. I believe at my current job can lead to me being not focused on my school work due to all the stress I'm receiving. This new job will allow me to work less hours and more hands on training (i'm not really focused on my pay rate since I'm still in school). However the consequence if I leave puts the office i'm in at risk of not having an IT person onhand due to I'm the main responsibility now. I wanted to get some advice as to whether I should take this new job offer or any input.

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    wake wrote: »
    However the consequence if I leave puts the office i'm in at risk of not having an IT person onhand due to I'm the main responsibility now.
    That is his concern, not yours. Your only professional obligation is to provide two weeks' notice, and then do your best during that time period to train your replacement. He has many options, including hiring another student you/he must train, or hiring a seasoned professional.
    IOne problem is that our IT manager works from home and it is hard to get help on job tasks that I haven't experienced before. I spend about 25-30% of my day just preparing for his meetings with him to discuss what I'm doing (which are useless). I have been getting lectures and getting the feeling that he wants to replace me.
    You're on his dime, and those meetings are useful for him. Since he is hiring inexperienced students, he has probably seen his fair share of blunders, and wants to make sure the work is done right. Look at those meetings as an opportunity to discuss the aspects of your work that are challenging for you.
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, in this day and age of at will employment, all you owe your employer is the time they are paying you to perform your duty, and nothing more. Granted, that doesn't mean you do a terrible job and expect them to keep you around. It also doesn't mean they'll hold on to you even if you do an outstanding job but they have no use for you in the larger corporate scheme. If you've done your due diligence and investigated the new opportunity as thoroughly as possible, then if you find out that it is a better fit for you (whether the fit is money, time, skill set learned, or what have you) then as networkveteran said, you're only obligated to offer them two weeks notice. As for your boss and the situation with him, if that's a point of stress and an inhibitor to working effectively, and there are no other reasons compelling you to stay, then I think you've already answered your own question.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Spicy nailed it, all you owe your employer is your time while clocked in.. don't worry about quitting a job because of the employer. I did this many times in my younger days, I didn't take offers and worried about my employers.. when you put in your two weeks notice it will typically show very quickly how much you matter to them in return.