Options

Tampa IT jobs?

glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
so basically....back in 2005 i moved to Orlando for school, moved back home after 5 months..fast forward 7 years... I vowed to move back to Florida someday. I'm looking into moving to Tampa within the next 6 months and I have heard the job market is not so good down there. Does anyone here live in or around Tampa that could give me some sort of insight? Thanks :D
A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec

Comments

• Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    I cant say for the Tampa area, but it does seem the South East region of the US is the worst for tech positions. Not trying to get your hopes up. Every area is different and that could be the case in Tampa. I would scour job boards and the like. Then compare this to your area or others of intrest to at least give some idea.
  • Options
    pseniorpsenior Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Look at this web site: Where are the Jobs? | Indeed.com

Baltimore is ranked #6. You are living in one of the best cities for jobs in the nation. Tampa is way down on the list at #30. Where I live, it's #49 on the list.
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

but..but...i hate baltimore! icon_rolleyes.gif
    Aberdeen Proving Grounds is right down the road and I know there are lots of IT jobs...oye...It's almost like I don't want to face the music lol
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Apart from the military/government stuff, there really isn't much in the way of IT jobs in FL except for small business/commercial stuff and some data center jobs.
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with wafflesandrootbeer. Don't get me started about Jacksonvilleicon_cry.gif
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have thought about moving back to Tampa but I don't know if its possible because of the job market.

I miss the beaches icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh Jacksonville is bad.. real bad.. Atlanta is hot right now from what I hear..
  • Options
    lilmansdadlilmansdad Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have thought about moving back to Tampa but I don't know if its possible because of the job market.

I miss the beaches icon_sad.gif

they got washed away with the storm a few weeks back... icon_eek.gif

and the Tampa market is not very good. we do not have many large HQ's, and not even very many large campuses in general. in Pinellas you have lots of different Govts, but they are all cutting, not adding.

I am looking to leave ASAP...
  • Options
    oh man icon_cry.gif
    nothing but bad news about Florida...
    what to do what to do...
  • Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not trying to change the subject but how is Baltimore? I have a few job offers from there I am entertaining.. Which means moving from Florida..
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    I know everyone says how terrible the job market is, but if you have the desire, ambition and skills you WILL find a job. Every company needs IT so there will always be jobs in every market. Sure some areas are better than others, but if you want to live in FL, I would certainly try as hard as you can to find a job, and then move.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Options
    Kelkin wrote: »
    Not trying to change the subject but how is Baltimore? I have a few job offers from there I am entertaining.. Which means moving from Florida..

Baltimore isn't a terrible place, really. There are a good amount of IT jobs here but I'm just tired of snow and cold weather. If you're seriously looking for some IT jobs check out the Hunt Valley area...
  • Options
    I know everyone says how terrible the job market is, but if you have the desire, ambition and skills you WILL find a job. Every company needs IT so there will always be jobs in every market. Sure some areas are better than others, but if you want to live in FL, I would certainly try as hard as you can to find a job, and then move.

This^
    This is my outlook..i'm confident i'll find something even if it doesn't pay well or it's entry level. I've worked two jobs so i'll flip burgers if need be! icon_sunny.gif
  • Options
    glenn_33 wrote: »
    I'm just tired of snow and cold weather.

That's why I moved, and it was the best decision I ever made. Really wish I would have done it sooner!
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)

• Options
    That's why I moved, and it was the best decision I ever made. Really wish I would have done it sooner!

I regret moving back to Baltimore all the time...where in Florida are you?
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm getting tired of the cold and snow as well...
  • Options
    I live in the Ocala, FL area (Central). I fortunately work for a DoD contractor and work at home. I initially planned on commuting to Orlando (I had far more opportunities lined up there vs. Tampa). Jobs in this area might not be the best, but it was nice being able to pay cash for my house :)

• Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

I've tossed around the idea of moving back to Orlando...I don't really know any other areas other than that and Tampa. I looked into Boca and Ft. Lauderdale and pretty much the whole east coast of FL. At this point I'd take what I can get anywhere in Florida. But, I want to get my Security+ first icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Yea if I was going to move for industry it would be Orlando. I'm on the DoD side of things so it's a little different from typical companies. But I really think you will be able to find a job in IT. A lot depends on your experience and skill set. For me personally, my best skill set was actually customer service. You can be the smartest person out there, but if people don't want to work with you (internal and external customers) you won't be able to go very far.

• Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Apart from the military/government stuff, there really isn't much in the way of IT jobs in FL except for small business/commercial stuff and some data center jobs.

Military/government is the way to go. Talk about job security.
    Kelkin wrote: »
    Oh Jacksonville is bad.. real bad.. Atlanta is hot right now from what I hear..

I've had offers from ATL recently for software development type work. Franklin, TN, which is about 20 minutes from Nashville up I-65 is it's own little tech center, lots of jobs there. This is just to point out that there are a few good places in the SE for tech jobs, even if they are the exception to the rule.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    galedgaled Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I moved from Tampa, FL to Baltimore, MD last September. Tampa is very bad off right now for IT unless you want tech support.
  • Options
    galed wrote: »
    I moved from Tampa, FL to Baltimore, MD last September. Tampa is very bad off right now for IT unless you want tech support.

Yea? I have maybe a year experience with help desk so I think right now tech support would be my only option...
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I lived in Tampa most of my life from 5 years to 28. I moved last October to Dallas. The last three years in Tampa was the worse I've seen the market. I think average gig was 40k. Most of the gig was some sort of support. I increased my salary by 40% simply by leaving that state. Yes there are some decent jobs, but there are a lot of other guys going for them. The companies are using the recession there as a way to keep the cost down.

Just my 2 cents. The thing I regret is not getting out of there sooner. Also, I moved to Orlando for 6 months to do a contract and the area there is even worse.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    With one year and A+, Network+ you will get about 15-17 bucks in Tampa. One of the last desktop support jobs I did, I was able to get them to go to 20/hour but I had been a System Admin and was looking to fill time while finishing my Masters.

If you want to get noticed there and make somewhat a decent salary get your CCNA. That started to get me more responses.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @odysseyelite

How do you feel about Dallas?
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    I love it. My 6 month old resume still gets hits. I'm doing contract work now. There are some salary jobs but more contract jobs. Pay is really good. Dallas was on my scope the last few years. Tends to be a good place for young professionals and its a hotspot for IT. However, Austin has caught my eye recently and I may consider that area down the road. With no income taxes and only slightly more in sales tax is a best bang for your buck place to live and work.
  • Options
    Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    I live and work in Tampa. Do not move here. You will regret it. I am moving to Atlanta in 6 months!
  • Options
    lenell86lenell86 Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I live in Lakeland, FL, between Tampa & Orlando. Gotta put in my 2c and also say to stay away from here if you want to be in IT for the long-haul. I'd move outta here in a heartbeat if it weren't for my persistent wife and her need to be close to family here -_-
    Certifications complete: A+, Net+, Security+, MCTS 70-401, MCSA
    Currently working towards: MCSE (70-293)
  • Options
    Lenell,

Long time no see. I thought Lakeland was working out for you. Tell the wife to Skype and move out this way.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 892 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just moved to Tampa a few months ago and in the military. I agree with the assertion that of you're a marketable prospect, you'll be able to get a job.

However, I wouldn't move down here for a job. Like some said, there's the government, a few hosting/data centers, small shops, etc.

If I had to get a government job though, the opportunities and money is in the MD/VA/DC area.

And odyssey, I like Texas. Nice cost of living, okay weather, decent rhythm/pace, etc. I visited the area you're in two years ago for a conference.