Options

ICND2 Passed!! ---from CCENT

mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□
wow.

As I sit here at my desk Monday noon (took the test this morning), all I can say is wow.

Here's a link from my ICND1 pass.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/75212-icnd1-passed-network-data-sheet.html

Here's the materials that I first used

Odom book -- read through this first pass, didn't really understand it but read it anyways.
Lammle -- read this after odom, then referenced Odom.
Transcender -- do practice questions at work (I really like the web version), I would resize the screen to fit my outlook message window so no1 was wiser to what I was doing.
Boson Simulator/practice exam -- purchased after completing Transcender. Simulator got me started but seriously was a hindrance (i'll explain below)

Took my first test feeling prepared and failed.

Damn.

Restrategized.

One thing that was my saving grace? Packet tracer.
Labbed in Packet-tracer which brought questions that I used to reread Odom or Lammle... or ask in forums.
Took practice tests in Odom and Lammle end of chapter.
Labbed in Packet-tracer which brought questions that I used to reread Odom or Lammle... or ask in forums.
Took practice tests in Odom and Lammle end of chapter + Boson practice exam.

Passed. Score:874. Now im tired. But happy!

Boson Simulator --

Good: helps you get started
Bad: Horrible compared to packet tracer. You just can't compare. Recompiling everytime you add a device? How is that a good way to learn? Seriously not worth the price. My advice is to skip the simulator and go straight to packet tracer.

Hours studied: must be 150?
Lab: must be 60?
period of 5 months
0 to CCNA: start to finish 11 months

Costs:
$150 (first attempt)
$150 (second attempt)
$100 transcender
$300(boson net sim + practice exam)
= $700

+ cost of coffee ($60 at the cafe most probably) + cost of diminished social life (omg priceless)

Well this has become an essay. It's a beautiful summer day here in Boston and I would love to enjoy summer before I start hitting the books again.
icon_wink.gif

Comments

• Options
    DiggsDiggs Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well done on the pass!

How did you find the Boson practice exams were compared to the real exam difficulty wise?

Also curious if you tried the practice test software in the back of the Odom Cert Guide and how it compared?
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    Congrats! :)
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• Options
    Diggs wrote: »
    Well done on the pass!

How did you find the Boson practice exams were compared to the real exam difficulty wise?

Also curious if you tried the practice test software in the back of the Odom Cert Guide and how it compared?

Actual exam was much harder that Boson. IMO, the actual exam was a difficulty level higher than Boson.

The odom practice exam (i didnt have the software just the start of the chapters question) was very helpful. Especially in the IPv6 section.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Good luck in the future.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    camomancamoman Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrad on the pass!! I will be starting my series soon with the ICND1 next month.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    kast1kast1 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good job on passing.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Way to stick with it and congratz on the pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    What do you think it was that caused you to fail the first time? Failures in the Odom or Lammele material?
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I know the struggle all too well, just passed my ICND2 back in March and it took me 2 attempts as well. I used a lot of the same materials too.

Whats next?
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    SephStorm wrote: »
    What do you think it was that caused you to fail the first time? Failures in the Odom or Lammele material?

lack of labbing. reading is one thing, practicing what you read is another.