Starting the Cisco track today, some questions

treehousetreehouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm currently working through a bachelor's in IA, and the university I'm seeking it at allows advanced standing credits on certain major coursework based on certifications held. I have a couple of valid ones already (A+, as of today Security+). The CCNA is also good for 3+ credits, so I'm getting started on it today.

The problem I am having now is deciding which track to pursue. My initial instinct was to go for CCNA: Security, but I'm wondering if I might be putting all my eggs in one basket. I'm almost certainly going to pursue the CISSP after I've clocked the requisite experience. I doubt I'll ever go for the CCIE but I do see myself getting as far down Cisco's track as CCNP.

Is it advisable to spread out my certifications to show a broad skill set, or hone in on security? I am not necessarily trying to land the hottest security job in my region. I just want to be highly employable.
2015 GOALS

VCP [ ] VCP5-DT

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Treehouse,

Welcome to the boards! Congratulations on your Security+.

1. You'll need to earn your CCNA before CCNA:Security. CCNA:Security requires a valid CCNA certification.
    2. You'll need to earn your CCNA before your CCNP. CCNP Requires a valid CCNA certification.
    3. You don't need any certification for the CCIE.

As far as what you want to do, that's an answer that only you can answer. We can give our thoughts, but it's moot.
    It doesn't hurt to be a mile-wide and an inch deep (Know a little bit of everything).
    It also doesn't hurt to be an inch-wide and a mile deep (Specialize in one area and master it).
    Some are persuaded by what they feel like they want to do. If you work or have an internship, you may try to tailor yourself to what you did and use that experience to help your studies. Both are fine.

There's examples of both - My boss is the former as he deals with more than just the network. But he also is a walking dictionary. I'm more of the 4 inches wide, a mile deep kind of guy. I love networking, and I'm specializing in it formally. But at the same time, i want to get other knowledge - such as security, voice, wireless, linux. Things that 'may' crop up sometime during my life, and I'd like to know my way around while not knowing everything. I'd like to know something so I can find the answers to what I don't know.

As far as the certification track recommendation goes: Most people go to the CCNP (Route and Switch) prior to visiting other branches of cisco certifications. CCNP:RS tends to lay the foundation of everything else. You can't have storage without a network, you can't have voip infastructure without the railroad tracks laid down by Route and Switching. It also helps that if you decide to go to the professional (NP) level of those concentrations you might have some tests out of the way because of the CCNP certification.

However... there's also the frame of mind, that to have a CCNP you'll be expected to have more knowledge and experience than just college. Where you'd be in a position of being a manager/professional, not an entry-level. That's all down the road and after you pass your CCNA where you'll need to choose what to do. Just realize that whatever track you have planned out, it may change. A change of position and projects might be better to learn something that you weren't really expecting. And that's fine.

First: Focus on the CCNA Composite exam or the ICND1/ICND2 test to get your CCNA certification first. One step at a time and keep the excitement up - don't let the fire die. Good luck with the studying, Treehouse :)

[Insert Motivational speech]

Oh. I recommend building a small lab. Do as I say, not as I do - because I still don't have a physical lab myself. See you at the Cisco forums. Ask us questions, someone will answer you or try to. It helps everyone studying and to retain information. I stress: There are no stupid questions.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    (Bare in mind this is based on about 3 people) The few people whose history I know in security teams have considerable network knowledge. I certainly think that getting your CCNA plus your University classes and playing around and creating a home network would give you some framework on which to build those skills. Ideally you could tack on some real world experience, even if it's a short term contract or helping out a smaller businesses. What you wouldn't want to do is have no idea how to lock down a port, be unable to fix a simple tagging issue, or give a blank stare if they just need you to look at a mac address table, I think if you at least know the basics then you'll be able to get your hands on real world equipment. I would definitely go the home lab route, maybe even get a couple of HP switches too if you can find them inexpensively enough. I've seen quite a few small to medium business that use them.