Options

Received my previous education credit results from WGU...

mp3markelmp3markel Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I just received the results of my previous education credit toward the Bachelor of Science Information Technology – Security degree!

In order to complete this degree from WGU I need a total of 47 CUs which is 12 courses! I got credit for 25 courses from my current AS degrees and certifications. I'm not sure what the average is for new students getting credit from previous degrees but I'm pretty happy with only needing to complete 12 courses! Could anyone suggest the difficulty of the courses I need and their idea of the minimum amount of semesters I'd need to complete them all?

CUV1
BOV1
CSV1
RIT1
BNC1
KET1
TPV1
MGC1
CJV1
KFT1
SBT1
RGT1

Comments

• Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    sick! i've got about the number/level of certs you have and i have my AS degree, so hopefully my class requirements will equal out to the same. i'm going for the 1 term goal as well. x my fingers! good luck bro!
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    Well I contacted WGU about possibly obtaining 2 B.S. degrees from them and I was told it's not allowed because it may make WGU appear like a degree mill. I guess it's true but at the same time I still wish I could go for both Security and Network Administration...
  • Options
    Thanks Somnipotent and good luck to you too! I'm sure you'll get credit for just as many classes if not more!
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    That is pretty awesome! Congrats!

On the subject of two programs, I saw somewhere where a guy started with X program and choose the classes to get X certs then switch programs to get the other. Is this cost effective or worth doing? I personally don't think so, just relaying what I saw before.
  • Options
    theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm actually becoming more and more interested in WGU - tonight when I get home I will probably do some more research. Not trying to hijack the thread, but I do have one question for anyone. Do the credits received from WGU transfer to other schools then?
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    You can get both degrees, but both will just say BS IT. You just can't do them at the same time.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Yeah, makes no sense. Go for a master's instead.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    theanimal wrote: »
    I'm actually becoming more and more interested in WGU - tonight when I get home I will probably do some more research. Not trying to hijack the thread, but I do have one question for anyone. Do the credits received from WGU transfer to other schools then?

Not sure of the credit transfer, but since it's accredited, I don't see the issue. It'd be easier to transfer degrees though, that's my intention. Once i'm done with my BS:IT I'm moving over to Virginia Tech to start their MS:IT program.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    theanimal wrote: »

Not sure why you would want to transfer credits, but yes they do.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i still say the gen IT degree is the best then get the certs you want after
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    I think 2 Bachelor degrees would look better than 1. I obtained 3 A.S. degrees at my community college, I'm especially glad now, seeing how many classes were transferred over to WGU. I intend to work on my Masters with WGU as well after obtaining the Bachelors. I'm going to pay off a few more bills and hopefully start in September!