Options

Value of having different schools on your resume

MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
I graduated in December with my BSIT from WGU. I am looking at going back for my MSISA. I also want to get an MBA because it will open more doors towards management. WGU seems to offer the cheapest, fastest MBA program I have found.

Part of the reason I want to go to WGU for all of these degrees is that the teaching style really clicks with me, I can get everything done fast and it is not very expensive. I am in Afghanistan and probably will be for the next 2 years so I really think I could knock both of these degrees out in that time. I finished my BS in 3 terms and that was at home with a social life.

I think a BSIT, MSISA and MBA will look great on my resume along with my MCITP:EA, CEH, CISSP, ITILv3, CCNA, A+, Net+, Sec+, VCP.

My question would be how much will it detract from my resume that all of my degrees are from the same school?
Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My question would be how much will it detract from my resume that all of my degrees are from the same school?
    I don't think it detracts at all. My primary concern is for the quality. A single major from Stanford/MIT would normally rank higher than three degrees from an unranked school. If you have the time/money to spring for multiple degrees, consider investing in one higher-quality degree.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I have had this same concern, whether or not it would be a good idea to get masters from the same school. I can see the benefit from a known B&M, but I am still unsure when it comes to a M.S.

That's why I picked a cheap B&M for future masters. Just didn't think it was wise, but that is just me.