Options

Question about online colleges.

chaser7783chaser7783 Member Posts: 154
I know many here have gotten a 4yr degree from an online school, and was wondering if having a degree from an online school has ever held them back, where as a 4yr degree from B&m school would of "looked" better.

If I stay at the B&M school I am looking at another 2-3yrs(Currently working full time and have to shuffle class around work), where as WGU it could be much faster b/c my AAS and some certs + other classes would Xfer, and then I could look at perusing a masters.

I was talking to my boss the other day about switching to WGU vs the local university, and he told me do not go for an online school in general. I went on to say WGU is accredited etc, and he just keep reinstating do not go for an online school. Has anyone ran into this instance where a company's has this bad stigma about online schools?

Comments

• Options
    BigMevyBigMevy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It sounds like your boss has a bias against online schools, but your company may not. I'm sure there are still some out there that feel the same way. The way I look at it, is my company felt good enough about an online school to approve tuition assistance for me, and it's a big company. I think we'll all deal with that bias at some point in our careers, but I think it'll become less of an issue over time, and frankly I don't think it's all that bad right now. But I could be wrong, I haven't been actively looking for new jobs with my degree yet, so I may not be qualified to say.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    +1 to what BigMevy said, your boss has bias and is uninformed. As long as it is RA it is a "real" degree. There have been studies (google, I'm too lazy atm) that suggest online education actually make for better employees. Main reason was the amount of self-discipline (and motivation) that it requires compared to being basically spoon fed what the next steps are (of course, depends on the school you're going to).

I graduated from Excelsior with a BS in IT, US government (Army TA and GI Bill) paid for it. I'm now almost halfway through my MS at WGU, my company (major defense contractor) is paying for it. As BigMevy said, if the government and big companies are willing to pay for it, it must be acceptable to them.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,048 Admin
    Basically, anybody can think whatever they want about anything. If someone gets an idea that all online schools are bad, and that person is a hiring manager, then they aren't going to hire me based only on that I got my Masters degree online? If so, I'm pretty sure that I don't want to work for that manager. What must s/he think of certifications then?
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As others have said, you're going to find people who are still stuck in the traditional ways. Your boss sounds like one of them. I graduated from WGU and have not come across anyone who has looked down on my education (as far as i can tell). My current company would not have given me an interview without my degree so they at least accepted it. I've been to many other interviews and no one has said anything. I've always been quizzed on my past experience, not my degree.

Because of WGU i got a good education without any student loans. I'll take that over the few ignorant people they may look down on me.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Online vs. B&M, it's the new [pick your local comparison] State vs. Tech school debate. You will always run into people who believe XYZ method is better than yours, just like you will find people who prefer experience over certs or CS over IT degrees. Do the best work you can, no matter what it will payoff in your career.
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There may be some really great online schools such as WGU, but there are also many horrible ones that just give out paper degrees, and these are the schools that give all online colleges a bad reputation. I originally heard about WGU through a very bright instructor at a community college, honestly if it wasn't for this teacher whom I had a good bit of respect for I probably would have just considered WGU to be no different than all of the other paper degree mills out there.

Personally, if I could stick it out at a traditional college I would do that. Most people just don't have the time, so an online school is their only option for obtaining a degree. If you are young and have the time stay where you're at. You can always sign up to WGU for a masters degree after you get your bachelors, there's no reason you need your Bachelors to be from WGU. Whether your boss's bias is justified or not, it is a common bias that many managers will have for some time so you should consider that when deciding where to get a degree from.
  • Options

Sad thing is if I stay at current University it will take 3yrs, doing classes part time 9hrs a semester to complete my 4yr. If I go to WGU where they will take my AAS and other completed courses, I could be done in a yr. From there I could turn around to same school for a masters. So that route in 3yrs I could have a BS, and a MS.icon_study.gif
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380

Sounds like you made up your mind already:) I just started WGU 2 months ago and I love it.

Sorry to hear about how your boss feels about it. Like already said, there will be people that think online degree is worthless and a joke and others that realize that it's still a real degree and either the individual knows their stuff or doesn't. I've met plenty of people that have degrees from B&M schools that clearly demonstrate that all they did was pay the tuition and passed with the bare minimums. That's another aspect of WGU that people might not realize. While it's pass or fail, it's not C or better grading. It's B or better.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You should not have an issue having gone to WGU. They do have physical campuses, are non-profit, accredited, and were setup by states. Some online schools will get your resume trashed from the beginning. If you are going to go for a Masters at a BM and you have a degree from WGU you wouldn't have an issue getting in. The other point that can be made is that plenty of BM schools now have online degrees as well. In the end, the diploma will say the school name and nothing else. Good luck and don't worry about it!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380

WGU is 100% online, no campuses.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    You might have problems if you ever want to transfer back to a B&M school after going to WGU, I don't know how well most schools would accept their credits since WGU doesn't really have credits like most schools. This might pose a problem if you later change your mind and want to get a masters somewhere else.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    WGU does work on a credit system and there is a long list of B&M grad schools that have taken a WGU degree including Cornell, Virginia Tech, and BYU. Check out this list: WGU Alumni Community - Frequently Asked Questions
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Yea looking at that list, the current B&m school I am talking about is on that list.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□

Companies do take into account the quality of the school/program and the degree earned. Note that WGU is unranked and they don't offer a CS/EE degree. You would probably get better responses if you noted the rank of your local university and what degree you planned to pursue.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Could be of two things:

1. Your boss has been stung before, by I guess someone who has gotten a degree from a degree or diploma mill (non-accredited) degree
    2. Your boss fell for a degree/diploma-mill scam.
    Has anyone ran into this instance where a company's has this bad stigma about online schools?

I've heard about companies who have hired someone with a "fake" degree from a degree/diploma mill, then fired once they've been found out. But personally no as I've worked within the education sector for the last 10 odd years and they are more strigent when it comes to checking credentials/qualifications (well the educational establishment that I work for are anyway).

Plus over here in the UK it's slightly different, Universities are accredited nationally, not regionally so it's easier as there's only one database and organisation dealing with degree awarding institutes. The same thing goes for further education colleges and (non-university) organisations/insitutes that are given royal charter to award qualifications.
  • Options
    WGU does work on a credit system and there is a long list of B&M grad schools that have taken a WGU degree including Cornell, Virginia Tech, and BYU. Check out this list: WGU Alumni Community - Frequently Asked Questions
    There are a lot of California schools not on that list....
    chaser7783 wrote: »
    Yea looking at that list, the current B&m school I am talking about is on that list.
    You don't really want to limit your future educational goals to just one school, its best to keep your options open in case you move. What school are you going to now anyway?
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    astrogeek wrote: »

That list isn't exactly up-to-date, either-- not to mention that many WGU grads don't pass that information back to WGU anyway.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    astrogeek wrote: »

You don't really want to limit your future educational goals to just one school, its best to keep your options open in case you move. What school are you going to now anyway?
    Currently doing Computer Information Systems at University of Houston.
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems
  • Options
    Also is there a success stories kinda thread for people that went to WGU and ended up in the IT industry. I'm curious to know how it has impacted their current jobs or allowed them to move up.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    id rather get an online degree than one from a well known party school, i see alot of people getting strait Ds and/or just buying the homework just so they can parts at a b&m school, on the other hand at most online schools its all up to you so learning is more than just books its about what works for you. its alot harder online than in a class... also alot of b&m schools are offering degrees completely online, something to think about

its not about the degree perse its about how much you put into it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Currently doing Computer Information Systems at University of Houston.
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems

Computer Information System degrees are usually BAs. B.A. < B.S. < CS/EE in the tech industry. And University of Houston is not ranked well--it's a typical tier 2.

I don't think that you'd be hurt much if any, switching over to an online degree at WGU.

The only plan that would be more beneficial for your career would be switching over to a CS/EE degree at your current university, since they do offer those programs. That's the harder path, too. Very little that's good in life comes for free! Best of luck to you, mate.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Never had a problem, most companies just want to check off that you have a degree to fulfill requirements.

I list it as

Bachelors of Science - Information Technology, Western Governors University, Salt Lake City, Utah

on my resume. I assume most employers just think, o a school in utah I havent heard of, meh.

I have worked with HR and been responsible for reviewing many resumes. The only ones that are looked down upon really are places like ECPI/ITT Tech/University of Phoenix, places that advertise on TV how easy their degrees are to get.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    I'll agree with what Mike. Most job postings are looking for a computer-related degree or equivalent. I've seen people making over the $200K mark with majors as varying as history, music, philosophy, etc. I've also seen HR at both jobs throw candidates resumes in the trash because of the reputation of the school they went to. I haven't had an issue with my WGU degree yet. I've had a few people ask where the school is at but I just tell them I did distance learning and it is located in Utah. My degree coupled with my certifications gets me plenty of attention
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    I agree with your boss, no offense to WGU, but anyone can hire an impostor and pay them to do your studies.
    If you was a HR manager would you hire a person who completed a online school vs other person who went to BM?
    I look at online school student who wants an easy way out so it would reflect a job, person is lazy or something.
    Also it would look weird If I live in Florida and I went to School in Utah but I live in FL.

Remember its extremely hard going BM school. Doing essays everyday. I don't see WGU crying how hard their materials is. so it seems its easy. it was real hard experience for me. You live only once so you want do it right and not re-do 4 years of college over again, so safe bet is going BM like it has been done over 400 years
  • Options
    Cheating has been around in BM schools as long as they have existed. At least with WGU, you have to walk into a testing center and present two forms of ID in order to take the tests. The WGU thread is full of people struggling with classes and who have failed tests time and time again. Feel free to skim through the pages: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/52825-student-experiences-western-governors-university-wgu.html

It's silly to say that BM is the best way simply because it's "been done over 400 years." The internet is under 40 years old so that argument is irrelevant and misleading. Meet the future: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/53985-master-list-b-m-colleges-offering-online-degrees.html
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    HLRS wrote: »
    I agree with your boss, no offense to WGU, but anyone can hire an impostor and pay them to do your studies.
    If you was a HR manager would you hire a person who completed a online school vs other person who went to BM?
    I look at online school student who wants an easy way out so it would reflect a job, person is lazy or something.
    Also it would look weird If I live in Florida and I went to School in Utah but I live in FL.

Remember its extremely hard going BM school. Doing essays everyday. I don't see WGU crying how hard their materials is. so it seems its easy. it was real hard experience for me. You live only once so you want do it right and not re-do 4 years of college over again, so safe bet is going BM like it has been done over 400 years

For me a B&M school is not hard at all, you put in the proper time you can pass. I'm not doing this b/c B&M is just to hard etc. I work fulltime for a company, and keeps me busy with projects. It's hard to say I need to leave at 2:30p.m b/c of class. Many B&M school are designed for young kids who work part time and can take classes when ever. Also many people can pay someone to go to class and take a test for the and write essays etc, that has been going on as long as B&M schools have been around.

I'm just at a point in my life where a B&M school and their course offerings are not matching up with the time I have.I'm having to drag school out b/c they offer one class at 1p.m two days a week that I need for the degree. Who working full time can do that. WGU offers me a chance to complete the coarse work in a fashion that better suits working students.

I'm kinda with JDMurray if I have a B.S degree from WGU, around 10 years experience in IT(3 of those in a Fortune 500 company), certifications to back it up, and the HR department has their noes in the air... Why would I want to work for a company like that.
  • Options
    Iris wrote:
    At least with WGU, you have towalk into a testing center and present two forms of ID in order to take the tests...

That's not what the WGU website claims--

Online Degree Program | Taking Proctored Tests Online

Some homeschools do more than this to prevent cheating, by requiring a testing center.

(The classes where the exact criteria's a certification are less of a concern.)
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    Yeah, it was pretty easy getting up at 4am so I could go do a 5 mile ruck then come back and put my uniform on so I could work all day. Then hope there's no alarms going off at night so I can finish up some homework. It was really easy when I had to get a months worth of homework and essays done before a month long field exercise, that was always a nice little vacation. If only I could have gone to a real school, where I get to focus on my studies during the day and go to frat parties at night, I wish I hadn't been so lazy.

Just FYI, it's pretty easy to get someone to take your classes for you in a BM, unless you're doing all of your homework in front of the professor.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    That's not what the WGU website claims--

Online Degree Program | Taking Proctored Tests Online

Some homeschools do more than this to prevent cheating, by requiring a testing center. Do some WGU programs require that you "have to walk into a testing center"?

The GE courses you can do via webcam and microphone but you have to actually walk into a testing center to do any of the certification exams. As far as cheating is concerned, it's always possible in every educational medium you choose but as normal colleges are starting to shift degrees online. Eventually there's not going to be a way to tell the difference between whether or not you got your degree from VirginiaTech or (insert college name) online or not. I don't think this is a bad thing at all. What it comes down to is this: If you took knowledge away from your education, then it'll show on the job or in the interview. If you cheated, well... you're screwed either way. You'll go down in flames either in the interview or on the job.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This has gotten out of control.

People **** all the time. Just a few years back some girl was caught paying another USC student to do all her papers and test. It happens at both.

If you want to you can find some out of work educator to write your papers for online or brick and mortar schools. You can **** certifications if you want as well. You can take the easy way out or the hard way either way you can do it. Bottom line is integrity in the individual. I graduated with my BS in 2001 from MSU (B&M) and I knew guys who cheated off of other students in the class. Especially in cost accounting and financial analysis. It wasn't an after thoughts and nobody really gave a crap. There were plenty of checks and balances along the way to weeds those people out. And if they graduated in the interview it showed they didn't know crap and never got a job.

Personally I don't care if you **** or ****, I'm more of a delivery guy. Either you can do the job or you can't. No dumping or cheating out of those task. My focus is 1000% delivery.
This discussion has been closed.