Options

My Scenario... Please help...

halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
Hello guys,

I started working for a company's branch office's IT department. I replaced a lady who has maternity leave right now.

The problem is that they Corporate IT has planned to add a Cisco 2960-S Switch to the network. They just ordered it and I have no idea what to configure on the switch. I am the only IT guy on that branch. I manage Windows Server's, Security System, Help Desk Support, Deployment stuff.

What should i do? How will i know what to configure on the switch?

Replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    first, find out exactly what the needs are. Someone somewhere must know what the switch is being bought for. Users must be needing something that the switch was bought for. Once you are provided with the users needs, you can start looking at how to configure it, that part we can help you out with, we cant help with the first part though.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pretty sure that's a question no one here can answer. That's something only someone in house knows the answer to. If anything, you might be asked to plug it in and give it an ip so a netadmin can log on and configure it.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I would find out from management what they are planning on doing with this switch. Don't stress out about this. This is a great learning opportunity for you. You'll probably mess up at first but every mistake is a learning experience when you're dealing with new technology.

Are you swapping out another switch for this one? If you are, then configuration is fairly straightforward if they plan on keeping the majority of the settings the same. You can just check the running config of the old switch and try to match it up as much as possible. Here's a configuration guide for you to look over while you're configuring it:
    Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series Switches Configure - Cisco Systems

Good luck!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Yeah sounds like you need to ask your management or someone internal. Otherwise communicate you never said you had knowledge of XYZ equipment and would like training/guidance/waiver of fires for install.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Well is the switch replacing another switch? or is it to add more density to the environment? if its replacing a switch start by looking at whats configured on that one and just ditto that to the 2960....A 2960 is pretty simple for the most part, its a Layer 2 switch so you most likely will not be configure anything way to advanced. If you have a small office with a basic switch to router setup its a good chance you will only need to harden the switch security wise and maybe add portfast to the interfaces and leave everything in vlan 1 coming off the router...but I am just guessing icon_rolleyes.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures