Databases / SQL - Entry Level Cert & Books / Training

DiggsDiggs Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
I would like to learn the foundations & fundamentals of databases and SQL for my career / business.

Can someone point me in the direction of good / recommended training materials to help me learn the basics and then proceed to more advanced topics. I would like to get proficient in SQL querying / databases and along the way acquire any certifications that stand in my way.

Would ideally be looking for training videos as well as a book....I tend to learn best using a combination of the two.

Please excuse my n00bness on this...I'm not even sure which certifications I should be going for..?

Have I even posting this in the correct forum?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    If you are new to SQL queries and commands, this site was extremely helpful to me when I first started as a DBA. It is an interactive course with a SQL database backend that lets you run live queries against it.

SQLCourse - Interactive Online SQL Training for Beginners
  • DiggsDiggs Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Hutch...much appreciated!

Should give me a good starting point
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can of course, download SQL 2008 Express, and play with that. Or can order SQL 2008 developers edition for like 50 bucks from Amazon. Then get the "Joes to Pros" series of SQL books. Great for beginners.
    You could always go with open source options too. Like postgreSQL or Oracle 11g.
  • DiggsDiggs Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Bokeh & Hutch - I think those 'Joes' books are exactly what I'm looking for.

I have a couple databases to play with which, from what I'm told, most are in MSSQL and one in Firebird.

Are there any recommended resources for database design or will that be covered in those books?
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Head First SQL was a GREAT start for me
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    I'm not personally familiar with the books, but I would assume they will cover database design. The line that distinguishes database design and database administration is more blurry than most other areas of IT. Its not like servers, where implementing and managing are two completely different roles. An effective database environment is constantly evolving and design becomes a continual and integral part of successfully managing a database.