Options

I don't get something.. help!

sdeyoungsdeyoung Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
O.k, In the technotes it says that routers are used to connect to different types of networks (ie: token ring & ethernet). Now in my exam cram book it doesn't say anything about this. I thought that a gateway was used for this. And when I took a practice exam, going by what the technotes said I answered that a router could connect two different networks (the example was token ring & ethernet) and got the question wrong, it sayd the correct answer was a gateway. Is this a mistake in the technotes?

Comments

• Options
    sdeyoungsdeyoung Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    o.k, i think i just answered my own question. A gateway is usually incorporated into a router??? the gateway feature of a router is what connects two different networks? Correct me if i'm wrong..
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Maybe this post, and the links in it will clear it up:

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7778

A router connects network that use a similar or different lower layer network technology. I.e. a router with an ethernet and ISDN interface, or an ATM, T1, Token Ring, etc. etc. This allows traffic to be routed over large networks, than don't necessarily have the same underlying LAN/WAN technologies. A gateway works higher in the OSI model and translates protocols for example, and is often a function in a device or software. MS proxy 2.0 for example, can function as a gateway for IPX/SPX clients to allow them access to the Internet (TCP/IP network). Another common example is the one I mentioned in the Gateways section of the TechNotes, Ethernet network to an IBM SNA mainframe environment. Gateway, in this context, has nothing to do with the term 'default gateway' which is usually the address of a router that leads to non-local networks.

I hope this helps,

Johan