Options

The near future of the IT market for new graduates

CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
It has been about 8 months since I posted here. From when I first registered on here till about 3-4 months ago, I was searching for entry level IT jobs (help desk, desktop support, technical support, etc). I had just gained certifications in CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+ in March-April 2011 (I was also working on Windows 70-680, but failed that, although I think with a little more labbing, I can pass it). I didn't have much luck, besides a few phone and upfront interviews; either it was because I didn't have a bachelors degree, didn't have much IT experience (I only have about 10 months experience in technical support, unpaid), or some other reason (maybe the interview went wrong, or someone else was better). I applied to over 300 IT jobs during that time span, but because I really needed the money, I decided to take another job (unrelated to IT).

I am currently working 2 physical labor jobs that have no relation to IT, to make as much money as I can so I can attend WGU (and pay bills). The first job I have had for nearly 4 years, and the other one is a full time job which I have had for about 3 months, now. My body is in a lot of pain to the point where I have trouble standing at times or even grabbing things, but I am doing this to look into the future, to go to WGU and get a bachelors in one term.

The reason why I made this topic was because I have been reading that the future of IT for people trying to get into the industry isn't too good, that companies are trying to outsource their work to other areas (not necessarily overseas), so they don't have to pay someone inhouse to fix the problem. I also read that companies are trying to cut IT costs, which usually means less IT workers. One of my goals is to get a bachelors in IT (I am still deciding on software, or server), but if it is going to be as hard to find an IT job as it was for me before, I am not sure if there is a point in attending WGU, although I don't want to work both jobs while my body declines due to overuse, so I probably don't have much of a choice.

I also wanted to know what the expected starting salary range was for someone with a bachelors in either a software or server specialty (for someone that lives in a city with a mid-level living expense). I know I am not going to be making 6 figures out of the gate or even close to that, but if I can make somewhere between $17-20 to start, that would be pretty good for me, as I am not a big spender and save a lot.

Comments

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In the type of market you are in, you will probably be looking in the 25k to 35k a year range to start. Chances are slim that you'd get a Sys admin type of job and would be more in line with finding a helpdesk or NOC type of position. Now, if you were to get into programming, you'd probably be looking in the 35k to 45k range to start, but will depend on the employers and what type of risk they like to take on new graduates.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think your best move for now is to finish up bachelor degree and decide where you want to be in IT. I wouldn't be all that worried about jobs moving overseas for now. I transitioned from labor type jobs to IT back in '07. It's tough at first, but it sure beat working at three different jobs a week, yuck.

You will probably start out working a Desktop Support or Help Desk type job at first. From there you need to decide what you want to focus on for your IT career. Is it network infrastructure (Router and Switches) or server administration (Windows/Linux).

I hope I answered a few of your questions.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Starting out in any new industry is hard. Even med students have to compete over the best residencies and aren't guaranteed that they'll get into the specialization they want to be in. IT is still a great field. IT has seen great job growth every quarter for the last two years. The hardest part is finding someone to take a chance with someone who doesn't have any practical work experience but if you can back up what you know with a degree, certifications, or even volunteer experience, you'll eventually find someone willing to give you a chance (as long as you don't live out in the sticks).
    Check out this article: Information technology job growth reaches new high - Puget Sound Business Journal

As far as starting pay, you might have to take a paycut to start out in IT. My first IT job paid me $12/hr but after a year of experience, I was able to double that. It's 4 years later and I've more than quadrupled that. It's VERY possible to succeed in this industry but you have to be realistic about what you're getting into when you get an entry level job. For the first 1-2 years of your IT career, you're working for the experience, not the paycheck. Some people have been lucky enough to get a decent amount for both in their first job but I've found that they are the exception to the rule.

If technology is your real passion then you need to adjust yourself and remain positive. You'll face a lot of rejection at first but after a few years, you'll be more in charge of where you go in your career. Good luck, my friend.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Companies aren't necessarily getting rid of IT people, but the jobs are flowing into other areas. As a cost saving measure a lot of companies are turning to MSPs, which in turn are hiring IT people. IT is really no different then any other career when it comes to getting and keeping a job. That being said, IT has had a much lower rate of unemployment then other careers. You'll really have to think about where you live to determine your chances of finding a job. It does take time, with experience and a degree it took me 8 months after graduating to successfully find a job. Also, they started me at $35k a year (this is in NJ). With three years of full time experience and a degree I am currently at $21 an hour. Depending on what you do, you should expect to make $30k to $40k fresh out of school. If you become a programmer, you'll probably make more in the $40k to $55k range.

The first job in IT is always the hardest to get, but once you have one things get much easier. Stay a year and if you don't move up, move on (or stay if your happy). I've switched jobs a lot, but with my degree and experience I've never had an issue finding a new job. But as I said, the first one is always the hardest. I've had to take a lot less then I thought I was worth just so that something was coming in. It's never easy, but when you least expect it you'll get the call. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The unemployment rate for IT is around 4 percent according to several sources. The problem I noticed is that companies want mid range and senior IT people, it's the entry and junior levels that seem to be suffering which kind of makes sense due to trying to get more out of less people.

Four percent is overall though so look at the region you are in, that might be a huge problem.
  • Options
    nkillgorenkillgore Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get people who have hired someone before to look at your resume. Does it suck? If so, you are getting looked over in about 2 seconds. You are welcome to send it to me and I'll let you know what I think.

We just had 230 applicants for an entry level help desk position that starts at 30k. About 130 of those were qualified for the position. 30 were over-qualified. The opening was only listed for 2 weeks. CompTIA certifications and no experience aren't going to cut it. It's extremely tedious going through 200+ applications. You only have a couple of seconds to catch someone's eye. If your resume is confusing or difficult to read, you are going to get looked over.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Where are you located? You may have to look into moving to an area with more of a demand for IT. I've moved around several times for jobs and most of the people I work with have as well. You have to go where the jobs are. Its simple supply and demand.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I highly recommend you go for that BS. I started at my current company in January. Part of my job search was posting on Monster.com etc. Even after going on and listing that I had found work, I still get contacted weekly by recruiters across the country (it's actually kind of annoying). With a BS in computer science/IT and a willingness to relocate, you should be able to find an entry level position around 40k in under a month. You said it yourself, you applied to over 300 positions, you were just simply not qualified at the time. The jobs are clearlyout there. Get educated and get back on the hunt.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I'll be honest here because I don't want to see you spend your time and money on a BS degree only to remain jobless.

There are plenty of entry level IT jobs and EVERYONE I've met with a decent resume and interviewing skills has been able to obtain one quickly, most with less certifications than you have. If you really spent that much time trying to find an entry level job then you need to take a look at yourself. Every aspect from your resume, cover letter, how you dress for interviews, personality, ect. In all honesty I don't see a BS doing you much good unless you improve upon these other areas first.

$17-20/hr is obtainable, maybe not quite at your first job but definitely after 6 months to a year of experience.
  • Options
    glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use to manage a Chipotle. I quit and got my A+ a year ago and just got my N+ last weekend. I'm currently working for the my county government making $10/hr with no benefits. I make maybe half of what I made at Chipotle. Switching careers is rough but I believe 5 years down the road I'll be much more valuable.
    A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    I'll be honest here because I don't want to see you spend your time and money on a BS degree only to remain jobless.

There are plenty of entry level IT jobs and EVERYONE I've met with a decent resume and interviewing skills has been able to obtain one quickly, most with less certifications than you have. If you really spent that much time trying to find an entry level job then you need to take a look at yourself. Every aspect from your resume, cover letter, how you dress for interviews, personality, ect. In all honesty I don't see a BS doing you much good unless you improve upon these other areas first.

$17-20/hr is obtainable, maybe not quite at your first job but definitely after 6 months to a year of experience.

Exactly. Call me lucky if you have to but I've only sent out 2 applications for IT positions, I interviewed and was offered both jobs. One of them was right after college (started 3 weeks after graduation, no certs or experience), the second was 1.5 years later (turned down the offer because of $$).

300 applications and no reasonable offer? I think there is something wonky going on that you're not seeing.
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    post up your resume on the forum. I am finishing up my degree(brick & mortar school) I have had no trouble getting interviews and finding people that are hiring. keep trying
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Where are you looking for jobs?
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    First figure out what you need out of a career. How much $? Early retirement? Working hours? Vacation time? That should narrow down the field of view. If you never want to work weekends or holidays or after hours then avoid MSPs & ISPs and consider carefully any 24/7 operation that doesn't have 24/7 shifts to handle issues. Although it's gotten better, there are still some people who believe IT is a hobby rather than a profession. They either try to skimp on benefits for workers or make it difficult to properly adjust for time over and above. If you love technology then IT might be right for you. If you just want a desk job that pays well and gives good benefits, you'll probably find better opportunities elsewhere because those jobs are considered "real work" where IT is "playing with things" and they feel we will keep showing up even if the guy has no chance of retiring.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    IT in DC is doing well. My suggestion to you is to get started on your BS (WGU is excellent) and start getting the more advanced level certifications. The BS alone will get you in more doors than you could even begin to imagine. Certs will only pad your resume even more. CompTIAs are generally overlooked by most serious hiring managers (unless you're working for a DoD contractor). Consider the systems side (MS), the network side (Cisco), or even the virtualization world (VMWare). Once you get something like a CCNA or MCTIP, get your resumes in with recruiters or staffing agencies like TEK Systems or Apex. They will do the legwork for you. You may not get a full time/full benefits position off the bat, but you will gain valuable experience in your work. I cannot stress the value of NETWORKING with your friends and family. Better to go in through the backdoor than the front.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Some good advice here, what area are you in? Have you contacted recruiters/staffing agencies? For entry level they seem to be great.. even if it is basic scripted IT based customer support.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with what everyone else says and…...I’m going to add

1. No point in working yourself into the grave just to get a degree. Yes, a degree last a lifetime, but so does a broken body/back.

2. You should post your resume and have others on TE offer suggestions

3. You say you have experience, well then you need to sell that experience. Picture this……

You are at an interview, and the employer says Tell me about yourself? You should be able to say in 30-60 seconds “I have10 months experience in technical support at ZXY.” Your resume should sell this experience as well.

You should take one or two classes at a community college or technical college per quarter. Once you secured an IT job, then you should pursue WGU if you still wish to go there.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks to all the replies, I really appreciate it. I would have answered earlier, but I don't have much time.

I live in the Twin Cities, which is considered a great place for jobs, but I think that applies more to people that already have experience. It seems harder with people trying to get into the industry.

I don't mind taking a $12/hour job to start (which is what I currently make right now), as long as I know that the pay will increase as I gain more experience. With the 2 jobs that I have right now, it is a dead end, barely increasing against adjusted inflation. If I can go from 12/hour to 17-20/hour in a year or two, then even more than that, then that is okay.
    Get people who have hired someone before to look at your resume. Does it suck? If so, you are getting looked over in about 2 seconds. You are welcome to send it to me and I'll let you know what I think.

I posted my resume here about a year ago, and I have recently had a family friend who is in IT critique it. I'll post the resume as soon as I can, maybe this weekend.

I plan on going to WGU in December. I will quit the part time job in about a month or two (it will be nearly impossible for me to complete my goal of finishing in one term working two physically demanding jobs). Right now, I just want to churn out as much money as I can (just in case any unknown circumstances happen). I will be preparing myself between the time frame between August/September to December, so that I can start out in WGU quickly and effectively. I already have 2 years of school completed, and I believe the 3 CompTIA certs will transfer as credits (I guess they are useful for something after all). I am still deciding between server and software, and to a lesser extent, networking. I am confident that once I have a BS degree, then it will be much much easier to get a job.

NetworkingStudent: How is your job search doing? Are you still having trouble?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You should be able to get an entry-level IT job without a degree. Your salary demands ($12/hr) are not unreasonable. If you are causing damage to your body, that has lifelong consequences. I'd work on self-analysis and do whatever you need to in order to get an entry-level job in IT (or as a barista) and only then work on a degree. Work smart, don't kill yourself. :)
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

NetworkingStudent: How is your job search doing? Are you still having trouble?

Honestly, it’s going pretty horrible…. I get interviews, but nothing seems to come of them. It’s not so much my lack of a Bachelors degree that is holding me back, as it is my lack of experience. Sometimes I wonder if it’s how I interview..I’m just not sure any more.
    I can’t take one of those 3 month contract help desk jobs..I need contract to hire or full time. I need a steady pay check.

I’m not sure what to do at this point........

Currently, I’m taking Work Market computer repair jobs and hoping to add them to my resume once I have completed about 4 to 5 jobs.
    It’s really frustrating talking to recruiters, because it seems like they have this perfect candidate in their mind and anyone with even minimal qualifications won’t do.

Smaller businesses and even some large companies will give people wanting to break into IT a chance, but you still have compete against other applicants with more degrees, years of experience, and/or even more certs than yourself.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    You need to get experience. It seems you're getting some tasks through WorkMarket. Make sure that your family members know that you're looking for work. They may not understand what you do, but they may work in a place with an IT department, and/or they can ask around.

Use the "Human Network". (oops, do I have to pay Cisco to use that term? :D)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Richi-RichieRichi-Richie Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I really don't think it's logical to assume that the future of IT for those wishing to get into the industry isn't favorable. IT is evolving and, in my honest opinion, would create job for more people in the years to come.

It's true that most companies would prefer to hire someone who has IT experience. But don't give up. Since you've entry-level IT certifications, keep searching for job. Hopefully you would a company that would be interested in hiring you. From there you can build on your experience.

It's difficult to say what you would be paid. This is because companies pay differently with or without IT experience. The good thing though is that, once you've some IT experience, it would open doors for more opportunities and increases your bargaining power.
  • Options
    healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah, working in technical support is a great way of learning and getting experience, pplease do not go for sys admin or net admins straight away/please pay your dues
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It looks to me like you're doing everything right; Staying gainfully employed, you've got certs, making plans to finish a Bachelors, and you're "working" IT work for experience. These are all really great things to do. The only thing you need to do now is keep your spirits up, it will get better. Power of positive thinking man.
    it seems like they have this perfect candidate in their mind and anyone with even minimal qualifications won’t do.

I have seen this a lot lately. It's unfortunate, but many people hiring know what they want, and it doesn't always match up with the stated "minimum" qualifications. I think overall they're losing out on a lot of potentially great employees by doing this.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    NetworkingStudent and CenturionMario, have you guys been looking in the twin cities suburbs? I live an hour from Minneapolis/St. Paul and see entry level postings all the time. $12/h to start is on the low side but is still reasonable for our area.
  • Options
    AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.