Options

Helpdesk Software

LenniusceLenniusce Member Posts: 114 ■■■■□□□□□□
I work in a helpdesk/Desktop Engineer position and I was wondering what software you guys can recommend to make life earier. By this, I mean software which can take away the redundant tasks duyring the day such as installing drivers manually, installing the same software on multiple machines, doing the same task on many machines, etc. Anything which has helped you throughout the years would be greatly appreciated.
In Progress: CCNA:DEVNET or CISSP Done: PMP | A+ | N+ | S+ | L+ | P+ | MCSA 2016 | CCNA | CCNA:S(exp) | LPIC1(exp) | MBA IT Management | MS Information Systems

Comments

• Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    like imaging software? WDS is great I've set it up a few times and it works well, there are some software limitations (only microsoft's software). There are also open source solutions as well. Google around there is a lot of great stuff out there.
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Doing the same task over and over you say? Sounds like a prime candidate for automation to me! My belief is that if you do it manually a dozen times, it's something you should look at automating. Learn a quick scripting language (or just learn to copy/paste the right parts!) like VB or AutoIT. Powershell wouldn't hurt either. The sysinternals suite has some handy tools as well. I'd also say to learn how to create and use custom MMC's.

I had to gather the IP's, driver version, and print processor for roughly 60 network printers a couple weeks ago. You know how long that would have taken to do manually? Hours, even with using a print-server mmc. 25 minutes of Google, and Powershell spit out a beautiful spreadsheet for me. Why do it myself when the computer will do it for me? All I have to do is figure out how to tell it what to do...
  • Options
    AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check the new Microsoft System Center 2012 suite.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • Options
    thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once isn't a bad toolkit, depending on what software you're commonly installing.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Qord wrote: »
    Doing the same task over and over you say? Sounds like a prime candidate for automation to me! My belief is that if you do it manually a dozen times, it's something you should look at automating. Learn a quick scripting language (or just learn to copy/paste the right parts!) like VB or AutoIT. Powershell wouldn't hurt either. The sysinternals suite has some handy tools as well. I'd also say to learn how to create and use custom MMC's.

I had to gather the IP's, driver version, and print processor for roughly 60 network printers a couple weeks ago. You know how long that would have taken to do manually? Hours, even with using a print-server mmc. 25 minutes of Google, and Powershell spit out a beautiful spreadsheet for me. Why do it myself when the computer will do it for me? All I have to do is figure out how to tell it what to do...

This would be the ideal reccomendation, depending on the task you are wanting to do. It wont work for keyboard replacements :)