Options

Transitioning into a more pure engineering role

ltgenspecificltgenspecific Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

Well, it's about time for me to start to make a career transition as it looks like I've topped out in my current area and with my current employer. I'd really like to move into a more pure network engineering role and am currently on the hunt. I thought maybe I could open the floor to advice from folks currently fulfilling those direct engineering roles for advice, any and all is welcome...

Backstory
I am currently an IT engineer for a large, national organization but specialize in integration of in-office IT and MPS solutions. I spend more time on-site with customers wrangling over details of driver installations and user issues than I care to admit. That being said, it's sort of obvious that while I enjoy the title "Engineer" I don't see much actual network engineering action and I would like to change that. The direction of my current organization doesn't seem to have much in this genre as they are in transition to becoming a software-house (with on-site customer support).

I'm working on a re-take of ICND2 coming up in 2 weeks and have gotten some great advice (from this board) as to certification path's etc. I look forward to adding the cert to my resume soon.

So...
Anyone have any (and I mean any) advice on breaking into a more concentrated role? (Oh and preferably in Florida or Texas, I would like to move away from Seattle to be closer to family *finger's crossed*). Hopefully I'm not shooting for the moon on this, thanks in advance!! :)

Comments

• Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    Not sure what part of TX you'd want to move to but it's supposed to be a hot spot for IT jobs, as far as moving into an actual engineering role I would suggest looking on Dice and Indeed for the area's you'd be interested in moving to and look at what employer's are wanting in each role. Then just work on trying to get experience with your current employer or at the least try and lab some of the stuff so you could use that as a talking point in the interview.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It's probably going to be a very hard road trying to get a network engineering role without any networking experience. You are probably better off utilizing your current skills and looking for something that has networking as a secondary duty. Once you get some network administration, troubleshooting etc on your resume it will be much easier to work your way into an network engineering role.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    So are you a Networking Engineer (actual networking) or Systems Engineer (Server MS side) ? Lots of companies misrepresent these titles. And which one do you want to be?
  • Options
    ltgenspecificltgenspecific Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To clarify, I am currently much more of a Systems Engineer at this point looking to transition.

...and yes, companies in my experience tend to throw that title around like it's candy. icon_wink.gif