Options

Coursera is announcing more universities and courses

ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
Today's announcement from Coursera - a number of large universities are starting to offer their courses through Coursera's platform.

The list of courses looks very impressive...
Dear Courserians,

We are THRILLED to announce that 12 universities -- including three international institutions -- will be joining Princeton University, Stanford University, University of Michigan, and University of Pennsylvania in offering classes on Coursera.

On Coursera, you will now be able to access world-class courses from:

° California Institute of Technology
° Duke University
° Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne
° Georgia Institute of Technology
° Johns Hopkins University
° Princeton University
° Rice University
° Stanford University
° University of California, San Francisco
° University of Edinburgh
° University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
° University of Michigan
° University of Pennsylvania
° University of Toronto
° University of Virginia
° University of Washington

You'll be able to choose from more than 100 new courses, from learning how to program in Scala (taught from the creator of Scala, Professor Martin Odersky from EPFL), to Professor Dan Ariely's course on irrational behavior, to the legendary UVA course "How Things Work" with Professor Louis Bloomfield. You can check out the most current course list here -- keep in mind you can enroll in a class even if the start date is to be announced.

To date, 700,000 students from 190 countries have participated in classes on Coursera, with more than 1.6 million course enrollments total!

To everyone who has taken a class on Coursera, or who has recommended us to your friends and family -- thank you! Education is starting to look very different, and we're excited and humbled to be part of it.

Very best,
Your Coursera Team | www.coursera.org
“You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
- discounted vouchers for certs

Comments

• Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Without doing any personal research to verify, do this mean that all the schools now provide online degrees? or just classes?
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Devilry wrote: »
    Without doing any personal research to verify, do this mean that all the schools now provide online degrees? or just classes?

It's free online classes that are mostly non-credited. Purely to learn the information, not get college credit.

This is awesome though. With coursera, udacity, kahn, and others there is a wealth of opportunity for people to learn and the best part is it's free.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for this, lots of really cool courses that I would like to take! I guess the big question is, how would you list this on your resume? Would you list it on your resume?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Wow...thanks for the info. I didn't realize so many schools were doing this. I know Carnegie has something like this, but I don't think its through the same program. Its called their OLI (Online Learning Initiative) - Open Learning Initiative | Open Learning Initiative
  • Options
    This looks awesome. Specifically caught my attention...

- Neural Networks for Machine Learning - University of Toronto
    - Cryptography 1 & 2 - Stanford U.
    - An introduction to interactive programming in Python - Rice U.

Great link icon_thumright.gif. I remember when I used to buy lecture series from Barnes n' Noble for $50 a pop. Excellent find...thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    It looks like you actually get a certificate of completion with most of these. For some of the more esoteric courses (Neural Networks, Nanotechnology, robotics, etc...), this would be pretty cool to have. And possibly something I would even consider throwing on my resume.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    now that I understand it: wow that is awesome! Huge kudos to you for this information. I wonder if any of these courses could potentially help with ones cert studies, guess it couldnt hurt.
  • Options
    Seriously, these are full on courses with required assignments, quizzes, and an actual professor...

Just registered for:

Cryptography - Stanford University
    Learn to Program: The Fundamentals - University of Toronto (this is actually a Python scripting course)

Anybody interested in taking them with me?

What courses did you guys register for?
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Bookmarked, will go back once I finish my Capstone
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Thanks for this, lots of really cool courses that I would like to take! I guess the big question is, how would you list this on your resume? Would you list it on your resume?

I've only taken the CS101 at Udacity. You should definitely check out Udacity - 21st Century University. They are starting to offer "official certification" with some of their classes. I was planning on taking more but started WGU so all those extra classes are on hold until I finish at WGU.

I would definitely list them on my resume as long as I was prepared to answer questions on the material covered. It demonstrates your continued journey of self-improvement. My take on it anyways.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Bookmarked, will go back once I finish my Capstone

I'm currently working on my Capstone too. But a lot of the courses are schedule as late as August and September.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    the_hutch wrote: »
    This looks awesome. Specifically caught my attention...

- Neural Networks for Machine Learning - University of Toronto
    - Cryptography 1 & 2 - Stanford U.
    - An introduction to interactive programming in Python - Rice U.

Great link icon_thumright.gif. I remember when I used to buy lecture series from Barnes n' Noble for $50 a pop. Excellent find...thanks for sharing.

I'm currently participating in the Crypto 1 course... and all it's done is serve to remind me how dull I really am. And to reinforce the fact that I will NEVER be a cryptographer. But other than that, it's a really awesome course! I have learned quite a bit (even if I only understand half of it)... If you haven't already, be sure to get some sort of firm footing in stats and calc. And discrete algebra.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I shared this and other sites mentioned with my staff. Thanks!
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just finished a course work in iTunes U from Harvard and I really enjoyed it. I'll have to check these out as well.

As far as putting them on a resume, if I were to put them on, I would do it under personal experience.
    Thanks for the information!
  • Options
    I'm excited about the course. Cryptography has always been my favorite area, and where I do the best in my security tests. But I've only really done the underlying principles behind crypto...I've never gotten down and dirty with the actual algorithms. I think it will be fun...but I can definitely see how it could be overwhelming without a strictly math background.
  • Options
    Do you think it would be easier if I did the algorithm courses first?
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    @hutch - probably, I would definitely brush up on math before taking the crypto courses. I've not taken a college math course in over 10 years... Prime example of "what you don't use, you lose". It's somewhat dispiriting to have to go back in the middle of a lecture to brush up on a concept so that I can continue... I'm just to bullheaded to give up on it.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow