Options

internet problem

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
So I'm in a different country and our hostel has wifi. Well it goes in and out and the people are supposed to have the connection "fixed". When ever the wifi on my laptop tells me that there no connection to the internet, I check the ip address and I get the APIPA address.
Then when the internet works, it's super slow. Sometimes I can't get to different websites and after a few tries of refreshing the page. So I have to wait a few min before trying to get back to the page. I was trying to go to elearnsecurity about two days ago and I couldn't. So I looked up the ip address of the website and the website that I looked up the address on told me that the page wasn't available. I can't talk to the computer guy because I don't speak fluent Russian. I don't know how much more detail I need to provide but I was wondering if anyone could possibly tell me what might be going on? Or how I can find out by myself whats going on.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well, if you're getting an apipa address, the crappy linksys or whatever cheapo router they are using is what is having the problem, not the "internet" itself.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe got there before me, and by a couple of hours by the looks of it icon_rolleyes.gif.

Sounds like they're using a crappy linksys router that's dropping the connection constantly and can't keep up with a lot of wireless connections. I had a linksys that would do that all the time. Very annoying.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Just look at the bright side. It could be worse. You could be using a Belkin Router :-/
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ugh, don't use that word on here icon_cool.gif. It should be classed as a swear word.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Ugh, don't use that word on here icon_cool.gif. It should be classed as a swear word.

hahahaha
    A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec