Options

Robert Half

Cubuntu28Cubuntu28 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a meeting with Robert Half, I was not told in advance that I would have any sort of assessment test, but I was wondering if it is normal for them to do so? I am pretty entry level, and only have some help desk experience. I have worked with Robert Half before, but it was with the "finance division" (I did take an assessment test then, without being made aware upfront).

If there is normally an assessment test for help desk positions, what material does it normally cover?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Most contracting companies I've worked with do some kind of pre-test to make sure you can perform as you say you can. Honestly I think more companies should do this. As far as it covers is dependent upon what you're going for.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    Cubuntu28Cubuntu28 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just wanted to know for certain, I am pretty hard on myself and will study to refresh my memory before the meeting if I will be assessed. Worst comes to worst, I did just pass the Comptia A+ recently so it is still pretty fresh in my head. :)
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    When I interviewed for the firm I currently work with, I had an interview in front of a panel (5 engineers and the CIO... Talk about being nervous icon_rolleyes.gif). They each took turn asking me questions, but there was no written test or anything like that.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Robert K where art thou? :)

Personally for me the whole assessment thing was annoying. I always pass on those unless it's for a job, not for someone to represent me for a job.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Let me know how Robert half goes. I've had, and still am receiving, emails from them on numerous occasions but I never take the time to check into them
  • Options
    glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I got interviewed by Robert Half I didn't quite have the experience they were looking for icon_cry.gif
    A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My experience with Robert Half was less than pleasant, but better than TEKsystems. Robert Half kept trying to shove me into positions for which I was overqualified and to be underpaid. They cared more about filling their positions based on their own needs rather than mine, which I guess is the very nature of head hunters. They are still better than TEKsystems, however, who just flat out sucks.

If you're hard up for work, then by all means go for it. It's always better to be working rather than unemployed. They are good about finding you work. You just have to make sure it's not work for which you are too overqualified. If you can afford to look elsewhere, I would advise doing that instead.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    ^ /agree. Experiences are likely to vary from location to location/recruiter to recruiter, but go in expecting things like amcnow mentioned. They tried pushing me on a job an hour away, buttering me up saying the client really liked me blah blah blah. This was after I specifically told them the area I wanted to work/distance I would travel.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    They gave me an assessment, but that was five years ago. I have no idea what they do now. I'm not especially interested in working with them in the future. Recruiters who choose to add extra layers to the already lengthy process are a waste of time. Every every Robert Half, there are literally a couple dozen other recruiters offering positions, usually with closer relationships with the clients and more realistic expectations of candidates.

In my most recent job pursuit, an RHT recruiter I met with five years ago wanted me to either interview again, in-person, or skype, either one during business hours. I, for one, have no interest taking off work to meet with a recruiter who can just as well find out what they need over the phone.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340