Options

Programmer Interveiw Help Please!!

New2ITinCaliNew2ITinCali Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have an interview with an affiliated company of the company that I interned at for a Programming position. The programming position job specifies that I be proficient in application development, VB, Delphi, C++, Java and HTML. I am only familiar with VB and I have taken a VB course. I did some application development with the DBA at my intern site. I also assisted in SQL functions and with application development we used SDLC layout. I bombed 2 IT interviews and I am praying I don't bomb this one. Please can someone give me some insight. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    If it was me, I'd be upfront about only knowing VB and I'd focus the time I had before the interview making sure I could speak intelligently about it.

I can't imagine trying to cram and learn Java, C++ before an interview. Most job ads are written by HR and not the people doing the work, so they list a bunch of technologies and understand the odds of finding a prospect that has everything listed is probably slim.

I believe in being honest and let the cards fall how they fall. I am never afraid of saying, "I don't know..., I'm not sure..." during an interview.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I agree with kgb. Be honest. Don't try to cram and then fumble through- that comes across as being even worse. Then you look like a guy who can't even explain something he claims to know. Plus, who wants to let someone who guesses at things they don't know instead of admitting their lack of knowledge work on production products?

Stick to what you know and try to sell that. Try to work in how you aren't really familiar with that technology, but you are really interested in learning it. You mentioned a business connection by company affiliation- try to toss that in there. AKA, "When I interned with ABC company, which I think is affiliated with yours, I did ______. That really piqued my interest with _____ technology." Show that you have an interest in the technology they are looking for. But chances are, they will have seen your resume and that internship with that company and will ask you about it anyway.

You said you bombed 2 IT interviews. Why do you think you bombed them? Knowing you didn't do well in an interview is a good thing- it allows you to adjust and correct your mistakes.

Do you have your heart set on programming? If so, those are pretty common languages. Have you considered taking a couple classes or picking up some books/certifications in them? If you sit around waiting to get educated/experience on a job, you may be disappointed. Take initiative and learn those on your own. That comes across as impressive- especially in an entry level position.

If you aren't set on programming and are just applying to any and everything computer related you may have some vague connection to- maybe you should identify what exactly you want to do in your technical career. After you know what you want to do, figure out what the qualifications are to get there and go for it.

Good luck! Let us know how your interview goes.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The programming position job specifies that I be proficient in application development, VB, Delphi, C++, Java and HTML. I am only familiar with VB and I have taken a VB course.
    Hopefully you are telling them in advance what you really know so you don't waste their time and yours. If you only claim to know VB, and you know VB, how did you bomb those interviews? That may be a clue as to what aspect of VB to study further, to succeed next time. :)
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thats quite a few languages to be proficient in...I know they are all similar, but to know the in's and outs of lannguages like C++ and Delphi may take longer. I would just say that what I have experience in and say you are ready to learn anything that needs to be used to get the job done.
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda