Options

Anyone have some good resume formats? Also questions about entry level position

tom_dubtom_dub Member Posts: 59 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all, I'm currently employed in the security industry (loss prevention, bouncing) and am looking to get out asap. I'm also currently in college for Computer Science with about a year left until I get an Associate's.

My job experience in anything IT related is basically none...However, I have many years of customer service related experience due to the various jobs I've worked and stayed with in the past. Also, I received an I-net+ certification back in my high school days in 2004, that certification is actually no longer offered. Received HALF of an A+ one as well due to not passing the 2nd test, I would take a guess that it is expired though.

What I'm asking is, does anyone have any good resume formats specifically for an entry level IT job? I know certain resume types cater better to specific occupations. Should I list my I-net+ cert on there even though it isn't offered anymore? How about current schooling? I basically need something to stand out. I'm unable to get any certs at the moment due to being overwhelmed with summer school and work but later this summer I'd like to try for an A+ cert. Is this a good cert to have or would something else be more valued?

I found this IT helpdesk job on craiglist that pays $12-14 an hour and lists:

""Ideal candidate will have more than 1 year of related work history. Must be positive, proactive, able to multitask and work in a call center environment. Be familiar and somewhat fluent with Microsoft Office suite 2007 and up. Also have phone experience and possess a solid understanding of basic computer concepts and troubleshooting. Associates degree / certification in technology field is a plus.
(Will be asked to provide proof of Associates degree / certification.) ""

Would this be a good starting point for me? Would I even be qualified? I'm trying to break into and make the most out of an IT and or software engineering career in the future and would really like experience under my plate before I graduate.

I will appreciate any help/advice that anyone can provide.

Comments

• Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Sounds like that would be right up your alley. Depending on your geo location, that is a pretty fair starting rate.

They used a key term that many people overlook- IDEAL.

The only MUSTS they list are all non-tech attributes... positive, proactive, ABLE to multitask and work in a call center environment. I'm assuminh\g you can since you are interested in applying. So the first thing you should do when creating your resume is convey those points across. Positive. Proactive. Ability to multitask. Now- I am not saying list "-Positive, Proactive, able to multitask". Demonstrate these qualities in your current work experience. They also want someone fluent with Office 2007 suite- do you have experience with these applications? If so, list it as a skill.

As for the certifications- when you received your first half of A+, I believe that is actually considered a certification in itself.. I can't remember though, been awhile. I would list it though if so- but I will let someone else chime in on that. Been awhile since I did A+. Just be sure you can access that information on CompTIA's website to demonstrate it. Also, I would list that you are currently working on Associates degree (with computer discipline) and list expected graduation date. Show that you are serious about getting into IT and that you are taking the steps to get there. Also, as for the I-net+ cert- do you know if it expires? Just because it isn't being offered doesn't mean it has expired. I would also list that if it is still valid. And of course, if you can prove you attained it.

Secondly, keep this in mind- your resume is nothing but a tool to get you in the front door and in front of a person. That is it. Once you reach that interview room, it is up to you to sell yourself. Display those qualities they look for. You could have a 100% spot on resume that matches completely
    - but you can bomb out in this process. You could also have a 50% matching resume (or less), but sell yourself and get the job just on that alone. Also, since this is a job in a call center environment- expect a phone call/phone interview first. It may not seem like an interview, but if someone calls you about the job- you can bet they are taking notes on how clearly you speak, professionalism, etc. Keep that in mind.

I would work on look at job postings like that and breaking down exactly what they are looking for and if it would be a good fit for what you A) can do B) want to do and C) will help you get to where you want to be.

As far as the resume type, honestly- I would go with one that lists certifications/education first. Be sure you list the certs you can and in your education, the fact you are working on your Associates degree. I would choose this just because your work history isn't going to show much in the way of IT. Now later on in your career, once your experience overcomes your education (if you chose to not progress past your Associates)- I would switch that around and list your Experience first and then education/certifications. That is exactly what I did and do not regret it. You want your most impressive/related items on your resume first- and in your case, it would be your little bit of past experience with technology.

Just my advice. Its about 1:00AM here ha, so- I could just be talking crazy.

Good luck!
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel