Options

MS partner requirements?

TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
We are a Microsoft Silver partner.

How does it work when it comes to qualified MCP's linked to the partner account? Do our certifications not count once the product they are for has reached the end of its supported life cycle? Or is it that once you have passed a MS certification you always qualify as a MCP (Silver level requires at least 2 MCP's - but do they need recent certifications?).

I realize that you should always have your MCP# once you've passed a certification, but is it valid for the MS partner requirements.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    To be clear, there are no longer gold or silver partners. Partners now achieve silver or gold competency in different technology areas. My company holds multiple gold and silver competencies, and although my certs can count towards multiple silver competencies, I can only be assigned to one gold competency. My skills and certs map to multiple gold competencies, but MS wants to make sure that their partners have a depth of knowledge across their employees instead of the old way of hiring a couple of guys like me who have a bunch of certs and call themselves a gold partner.

The competency requirements change frequently, usually in May of each year, so they would change long before the product was out of support or the tests were retired. Sometimes there is only a year overlap where you can be certified in the previous version or the new version (Exchange 2007-2010 for example) before only the new version counts. This year MS added the 659 Hyper-V R2 exam to the requirements for the Server Platform competency in addition to an MCITP:EA or SA. Sales goals and customer references are required in addtion to certified consultants. You can check out the requirements for the different competencies over on the partner site:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/global/program/competencies
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Ah yes. I was on the partner network but didn't look under competencies. That makes it clear, looking under the Silver competency requirements.

Thanks Claymoore!