Options

IPAM Server 8

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Any one played with this yet?

In fact who's played with Server 8 and what are your thoughts?

And does any one have any ideas when Server 8 will be relesed?
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Here's a thread that might have some info you're looking for: http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/79035-opinions-server-2012-a.html

I have it installed, but do not feel I will be deploying/upgrading my servers right on release date. That IPAM looks like a nifty feature though. Haven't heard on Windows Server 2012 release date, but in a partner newsletter I got today MS says Windows 8 will be available to consumers in October and to partners in as early as August.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't like the interface :) but it does have some decent features. DHCP load balancing is one for starters!

August!! now that sounds interesting! I will have to talk to ours as I don't want to have to wait until October to get this going.

Moving from a LINUX based DHCP solution to windows, but not sure to hold of till server 8 is out or go to 2008 now and update later. if its only a month or 2 then wait :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    From my experience the Hyper-V integration is where most of the improvements lie. If you buy Server 2012 with the system center licensing (which you need for system center virtual machine manager) you are mimicking all the features of VMWARE with the addition of monitoring, security, backup, incident management, etc. I don't think it will pull people away from VMWARE but it is a kick on their door and it very possibly will make Citrix XenServer irrelevant.