Options

question about server core 2008

piraderpirader Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

In my mspress self training book at the end of my first chapter, i have a series of Q&A
One of the following are confusing me because the book first says A and then sais B...

the question is the following:

SERVER02 is running Server Core. It is already configured with the AD DS role. Youwant to add Active Directory Certificate Services (AD CS) to the server. What must you do?
A. Install the Active Directory Certificate Services role.
B. Install the Active Directory Federated Services role.
C. Install the AD Rights Management Services role.
D. Reinstall the server as Windows Server 2008 R2 (Full Installation).

Correct answer would be A i believe, yet the book says D as the correct answer.

However a few pages back the book states:

Server Core supports the following server roles:
Active Directory Certificate Services
Active Directory Domain Services
Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS)

Which answer is correct and why so?

Thanks,

Pirader

Comments

• Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    This has been asked before in the Thread: AD CS in Server Core Installation The answer is yes it can, even though the books says no icon_lol.gif

TechNet article How to Set Up a Certification Authority on a Server Core Installation
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    piraderpirader Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    This has been asked before in the Thread: AD CS in Server Core Installation The answer is yes it can, even though the books says no icon_lol.gif

TechNet article How to Set Up a Certification Authority on a Server Core Installation

Allright, thanks for the info, guess my first tought was the right one!

And thank you for your quick reply :)
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    Microsoft books have a lot of errors in them(The books are originally written with the Beta version of the product). I noticed that its gotten a lot worse with vista and newer certification books. The worse one i've seen is the first edition of the 70-680 windows 7 configuration book. I got really frustrated with that test and i basically said screw this book. Then 2 days before my test i realized at work if the book has wrong information, does the test have wrong "right" answers too?. i passed the test but i always wondered that ever since. I have also noticed that on each vista or newer test i've taken i've found typos in the test its self. i can't remember seeing any in the XP/2003 books or tests.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    What do you expect, I am sure that MS probably keeps these writers caged in a sweat shop with guns aimed at the head in some secret base to ensure that books are available on time icon_twisted.gif
    Jokes apart, look at the transition/churn of technology within last 2-3 years. From Windows Vista to Windows 7 and now Windows 8. From Windows 2008 to R2 and now 2012. Exchange 2007 to 2010 now 2013. These books have a shelf life of hardly a few years so the writers have to churn out more books every years to make a profit and the first one always makes the killing.
    One example, I was looking for a Windows 2008 R2 Edition MCTS book in India for studying a few months back, I couldnt find anything less then $80 (Approx INR 4000) as most of imported editions. Cut to last month, the same books are on 50% discount and available for $10-20
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You CANNOT install CA on server 2008 core, only Server 2008R2 core. I installed 2008 Core in my lab to verify. Look at the roles available below

2008 R2 Core roles

2008 Core roles