Options

unable to replicate

DreadJuniorDreadJunior Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm in the middle of studying for 70-640, when suddenly i noticed that my DCs doesn't replicate.

i have 2 DCs

1 Windows Server 2008 R2
1 Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core

i ran "repadmin /showreps" and shows the message below

Error 8456
"The source server is rejecting replication requests"

I'm planning to create another image and rebuild my domain again and get back later on that one once i'm done icon_study.gif

Has anyone of you encountered this problem? Of course you won't rebuild your domain again when you're already on the job.

Comments

• Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Check and make sure your time matches up on the two DC's within 5 minutes of each other.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's one of those symptoms where the underlying cause could be one (or a combination) of many things.

Time is a good one to check.

Have been playing with snapshots on either of the DCs? If so that is likely to be the cause.

Have a look in the event log, especially for anything which mentions the KCC.

I know it's annoying when things **** up but the subsequent troubleshooting is actually the BEST way of learning.
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Snapshots on DC's a recipe for disaster :D even MS states that you should never work from a snapshot as it could lead to corruption on DC.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    Snapshots on DC's a recipe for disaster :D even MS states that you should never work from a snapshot as it could lead to corruption on DC.

This is true I had someone in a thread a few weeks ago telling me it was the only way to go but hey what do I know?
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    DreadJuniorDreadJunior Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you for all your response.
    Krunchi wrote: »
    Check and make sure your time matches up on the two DC's within 5 minutes of each other.

i consulted one of our sr. systems guy in the office and he said the same as yours =). I never thought time difference would really cause serious problem.

buzzkill wrote: »
    I know it's annoying when things **** up but the subsequent troubleshooting is actually the BEST way of learning.

i agree. icon_thumright.gif

pumbaa_g wrote: »
    Snapshots on DC's a recipe for disaster even MS states that you should never work from a snapshot as it could lead to corruption on DC.

you mean it's not recommended taking snapshots on a DC? i have reverted back on my 2nd DC twice from snapshot. probably that one caused the problem.
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I think this article should explain the issue better then I can atleast DC
    This is a problem with Win2k8R2 but I have heard they have resolved it in 2012
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]