Options

Any recommendations on how to update resume on skills/hardware you don't do often

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
This is a tough question, in my mind.

I'm starting to update my resume with some of the equipment I work on here at the US Army.

The only issue is that I'm not 100% comfortable putting this on my resume. For example, I log into a Cisco Router/Switch, I run a few basic commands to make sure it is up and running. Do some basic troubleshooting now and then and that is it.

Most of the time, other then monitoring the equipment and basic troubleshooting, that is all I really do. The IT military contractors do 95% of the work.

How, or what is the best way to say on my resume, yes I've worked with this piece of hardware of I have these skills, but they just are that in-depth yet?
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The way I look at it is: Don't put anything on your resume you're not comfortable/going to be able to answer questions to.

However, if you do put it on your resume - if the recruiter/manager/etc asks about it, you can always say "I've worked with <insert technology>, but I'm not an expert and have only done <insert what you've done>."
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    vCole wrote: »
    The way I look at it is: Don't put anything on your resume you're not comfortable/going to be able to answer questions to.

However, if you do put it on your resume - if the recruiter/manager/etc asks about it, you can always say "I've worked with <insert technology>, but I'm not an expert and have only done <insert what you've done>."

2nd that, be honest with them when they ask the skill level and don't accept a job you know is over your head.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    eansdad wrote: »
    you know is over your head.

I disagree a little bit with that, especially when trying to elevate to higher level positions. Every job I have taken on my progression upward has been a little over my head. I suppose I always felt if you are 100% comfortable with the job, it is a lateral move. You want to put yourself in a position to be challenged, learn new concepts and technologies, etc. Granted, once you reach a high level in your chosen realm of expertise this isn't the chase- but I would say most users on these boards seeking help are not senior level individuals. They are looking for advancement.

But I would agree with you on the first part. Be honest. Don't fudge it. You will find as long as you possess some of the necessary experience and can demonstrate the ability to learn new concepts on the job- that can get you into jobs that are "over your head".

Just my 2 cents and how I operate. :)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    These days, the hiring people do not want to hear "I'm sorta familiar with that but I need to learn a bit more because I don't work with it very much." They want you to say "Yeah I know all about that and let me tell you how I use it..." after which you go into great detail about things that would probably make the IT manager - if they were present - half-chubbed about the prospect of working with you. Bottom line, if you can't make a battle rap about it, don't put it on your resume.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would put it on your resume exactly as you described it to us.

"Monitoring and troubleshooting of Cisco routers and switches".

Nothing at all misleading or left "between the lines" about that.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    With Route

I think going above your skill level is a great opportunity to rise to the occasions and to increase your skill sets and overall financial value. I was working on a helpdesk for 2 years and then took a leap of faith as a team lead in a supervisor role, even though it was a 6 month contract. It was like drinking water out of a fire hose but eventually I adapted and began to grow. I transition back to a service desk then a year later did the samething but even more stressful and more management related. That was insanely stressful for 6 months but eventually I grew again and really learned a lot.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would just take care to portray the experience accurately--

Basic IOS troubleshooting - Can use ping, traceroute, etc. to identify network faults.

I can't see someone quizzing you on how redistribution works in a multi-protocol environment based on a statement like that. At most, they'll ask you about IOS enable mode and to explain ICMP echo, echo-reply, time-exceeded messages and how the TTL is used.

Better still, you have access to IOS devices. Take the opportunity to learn more!

PS - I'm also firmly in the "challenging roles" camp. :)
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Good points, I'm wanting to grow. However in my experience, I feel most companies don't want people to grow, they just want people in those positions who can do the job.

Again, I want to get to the next level and grow.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    As long as you are honest about your experience then I doubt most hiring managers would see it as a problem. It's when you put the experience on your resume and then tell the hiring person that you've never actually done it but have seen it done before is when there will be a problem.

Remember, it's always best to be honest. There are jobs out there for people that don't have much experience and are wanting to move up. The trick is finding them.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD