Options

Mavericks Invent Future Internet Where Cisco Is Meaningless

NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
A friend sent me this article today. What do you guys think?

Mavericks Invent Future Internet Where Cisco Is Meaningless | Wired Enterprise | Wired.com

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think it's yet another Wired article proclaiming that hyperbole is the best thing ever.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Open flow type technologies are going to take off. Cisco already has performanced based routing on IOS already. Im' not sure who the dominate player is going to be, but it opens the door for some new people to come in and make there marks. Routing can be done on normal boxes and ou can have them scattered over your network and have 1 box control them all. OSPF/BGP are 20 years old and its time to upgrade in a since, but at the same time many things have come around and claim to be the next big thing, then they disapear.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Even if it did become the next big thing, there will still be jobs and careers maintaining the equipment that's already bought. Sure, may not be the latest and greatest.

No matter what, once you stop learning you're dead in the water :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Sounds interesting tbh, but a little disheartening considering that I just committed myself into learning network hardware. =/
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    As far as I understand it, it's not as if it will take many, if any, networking jobs away. What you learn in CCENT, CCNA etc, is all software. Cisco themselves say they are predominantly a software company.

Just because networks might become virtualized in the future, it just means there will be less hardware sales, not any less work to actually do on the command line.

Hardware is actually the easiest part of networking. Google themselves said, when they were making their own routers/switches, it was the software that was the hardest part to build.

Alot of servers these days are virtualized, and there is still the same need, if not more, for server admins etc.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, of course. :p
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xbuzz wrote: »
    Alot of servers these days are virtualized, and there is still the same need, if not more, for server admins etc.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, of course. :p

Virtualized servers require less admin. There are less hardware to manage, servers are easier to deploy and easier to maintain. Easier to deploy is a double edge sword because it also leads to server sprawl.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Listen to PacketPushers podcast. According to these experts, all the changes that we are seeing right now won't be in everyone's network right away. That said, they still recommend to go through the motions of learning the old fashioned networking. So SDN is just another technology that we need to add to our list of things to learn.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Look at it this way, how many companies still run physical servers, run on windows 2003, or 100mb networks.

It was not all that long ago that Switches replaced hubs, and layer 3 switch became the norm and allowed networks to become what they are today.

Yes this looks interesting but it will be many years yet before the pioneers have tried it out, weeded out issues and it becomes (if it becomes) the standard.

technologies don't roll in over night an rewrite the landscape, Think of VMware and virtulisation, it was a niche product for years before it gathered the following it has now. Even with out things like this IT is ever changing and things you learn one day are out of date a few days later.

But at the heart its all the same, moving bits of data back and forth, its the same inside and operating system as it is on the cables that connected them together. There is nothing new hear, nothing. Newton had a new idea when he thought up gravity, no one else before had had such an idea. But this is just rehashing what is already there, in a cleaver and potential useful way, but there is nothing ground breaking or rewriting how Computers work. So I would not worry about what you learn getting out of date, just work on understanding how it all fits together.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.