Options

Infosec Role Advancement

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi
I'm currently working as network Engineer where I undertake quite a lot security tasks. We have a security stream where each department I.E networks, Wintel and Telco have a stream lead. I'm the stream lead for the network team and eventually I would like to do a pure InfoSec role. I plan to complete my CCNP Security and then take a Security CERT either CISSP or CEH. I believe that there will be some dedicated security roles created Information Security officer and Security Analyst. I would like to apply for the security analyst role but believe that I will now be competing for the role. I just wondered if anybody had any ideas on how I can make myself stand out from the crowd. I have a few of my own ideas that I can bring to the security stream meeting below.

Look at introducing mobile phone security (We have smart phones in the business but no security, I believe this is going to big quite big)
I receive a lot of information from security sites that I’m registered. I have thought about creating a security bulletin that summarizes relevant information and distributing to the business. Does anybody else in an Infosec role send out security bulletins.
Increasing my security knowledge by attending conferences and research
I have also noticed some weaknesses which I have and brought these to the security meetings to be remediated.

These roles are very new and not established. I would be interested in hearing from people working in an established security role and the type of things they do on a day to day basis that we my not have thought of. Or anyone who has any suggestions I would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks