Options

Need advice about accepting a job offer

The ShadowThe Shadow Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just got offered a job working at a media company in Los Angeles. It's about 50% Mac and 50% Windows 7. They don't have any VMs, Veeam, or SCCM. They do have a storage area network, but I just learned that a Mac IT outsource company manages it. I am guessing it' an Apple SAN. I thought that this position was more a systems administrator role, but it seems like it's more of a help desk role.

It does pay well (60k annually), however it's located a the opposite end of LA from where I am currently located. I would have to relocate, unless I want to deal with a hour commute one way in the LA traffic.

I just don't know how this job would help me in my future. True it pays more then I am currently making, but if I am not going advance my skill set, then whats the point?

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Sometimes those jobs are useful if you're working on other professional projects (i.e. grad school, certifications, consulting, etc). My second IT job had a lot of downtime and paid rather well so I was able to get most of my degree completed and a bunch of certifications out of the way. If you can put that extra cash flow towards something that might professionally better yourself, it might be worth it.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you know if the cost of living is higher there?

I'd have to agree with Iristheangel. Downtime can be good, if you make it work for you.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Thanks everyone!

The cost of living there is high. The company is located in Santa Monica. I could get an apartment about 5-10 miles away, and that might help.
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are several aspects to look at, one of which you touched on.

1. Take a job more for what you will learn/do than what you will get paid. This is sometimes easier said than done depending on the situation. If it doesn't build your skillset the way you would like or doesn't help your long term goals, it may not be worth it.

2. It is a pay increase, but is the extra commute time and expense worth it. I didn't truly understand this until I became a dad and trying to do a side business as well. Time is usually more valuable than money. Also with the pay comes the expected work volume, stress and expected commitment. My last boss worked 6-7 days a week just to keep up and wanted us to do the same. That was not going to happen.

3. Work environment. Is it a relaxed environment or a high stress environment. This is often hard to tell until you get started, but the personality of the person you interviewed with and some good questions during the interview phase can help. My best friend works for a small support company and his boss is an arrogant jerk. He expects everyone to work a ton for nothing extra because he does. He yells and cusses people out when things go wrong. It is driving my friend up the wall and really stressing him out.

I hope this helps give you some things to think about and helps. To me, if it wasn't a big increase in pay, going into an environment I knew was a good one for me and wasn't going to help my long term goals then I would not take it. I want to move up and get more responsibilities, but I like where I am at and I am still learning where I am at. It will take a lot for me to move, but that is me.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

Mike
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Check out padmapper.com. You could always get a place in the valley at a decent price
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Check out padmapper.com. You could always get a place in the valley at a decent price

I've been on padmapper all morning.
  • Options
    Keener, If he couldn't get it done within 5 days, shouldn't that be a signal to hire some more people?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    Keener wrote: »
    There are several aspects to look at, one of which you touched on.

1. Take a job more for what you will learn/do than what you will get paid. This is sometimes easier said than done depending on the situation. If it doesn't build your skillset the way you would like or doesn't help your long term goals, it may not be worth it.

2. It is a pay increase, but is the extra commute time and expense worth it. I didn't truly understand this until I became a dad and trying to do a side business as well. Time is usually more valuable than money. Also with the pay comes the expected work volume, stress and expected commitment. My last boss worked 6-7 days a week just to keep up and wanted us to do the same. That was not going to happen.

3. Work environment. Is it a relaxed environment or a high stress environment. This is often hard to tell until you get started, but the personality of the person you interviewed with and some good questions during the interview phase can help. My best friend works for a small support company and his boss is an arrogant jerk. He expects everyone to work a ton for nothing extra because he does. He yells and cusses people out when things go wrong. It is driving my friend up the wall and really stressing him out.

I hope this helps give you some things to think about and helps. To me, if it wasn't a big increase in pay, going into an environment I knew was a good one for me and wasn't going to help my long term goals then I would not take it. I want to move up and get more responsibilities, but I like where I am at and I am still learning where I am at. It will take a lot for me to move, but that is me.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

Mike

I've only been there at once for about an hour. The work environment seemed pretty relaxed. The guy who interviewed me has been there for 8 years, and he said that there's only been 4 people who have left company since he's been there. It's a pretty small company, only about 50-60 people.
  • Options
    A low turnover is pretty good.

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Keener, If he couldn't get it done within 5 days, shouldn't that be a signal to hire some more people?

Long story short, the company was refusing to spend money on certain things. There were only 2 of us supporting a manufacturing plant in SC (our boss was in STL) that spanned a couple of football fields in size and had a few hundred computers. They would never approve the spending for another person even though my boss wanted it and they knew they needed it. They were getting by.

However, my boss also shot himself in the foot by working so much. When the IT Director left to go to another company they did not replace her. They just divided up her work to other managers and my boss picked up a ton.

Sometimes putting in excessive hours and not standing up for yourself/department only backfires and gets you more work. I still talk to people that work there and nothing has really changed.

On a funny note, they had a 18-21 year old computer that ran the paint line for the plant. Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket!
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Keener wrote: »
    On a funny note, they had a 18-21 year old computer that ran the paint line for the plant. Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket!

Sometimes companies have to learn the hard way
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    A low turnover is pretty good.
    OTOH, it could mean no advancement because no one ever leaves their job.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OTOH, it could mean no advancement because no one ever leaves their job.

It's a 60 person company that already has some outsourced IT consultancy. The OP is likely to be the only IT guy there anyway.

Potential for advancement is probably nil.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Jobs like this are a trap IMO. It pays better than you make now, but if you work there for 3 years then look for another job it is very unlikely you will find something that pays better because 3 additional years of working with osx and win7 support doesn't really count towards most of the IT type jobs that are going to pay 70/80k a year.

I would only take this job in 2 scenarios:

The pay bump is big, like $15,000/yr. In that case though make sure you are pursuing things like MCITP:EA or whatever other high level certs apply to the career path you want, maybe VCP etc that way when you are ready to leave you are marketable.

Or if the company was willing to let you change things. If they are interested in migrating to VMWare for the long term investment, switching to a more common SAN like Netapp or EMC etc.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    I've decided not to accept the position.

It's not about the money or the relocation, it's about the job itself.

It's just a decent paying help desk role. I learned that I won't be supporting the SAN, and that I'll just be changing drives, monitoring, changing battery.

If I am going ti relcoate then it needs to be for the right job, and not just a job that pays decent.

I have to think about my future and not be nearsighted.

Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    The Shadow wrote: »

It's just a decent paying help desk role. I learned that I won't be supporting the SAN, and that I'll just be changing drives, monitoring, changing battery.

If I am going ti relcoate then it needs to be for the right job, and not just a job that pays decent.

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like you made the right choice for you right now and didn't just settle. The right thing is on your way.
  • Options
    griffinalice29griffinalice29 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with you keener, It depends on many factor like work environment, work profile, company’s reputation, Payment and most important your interest.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Shadow wrote: »

Thanks everyone!
    Good call IMO.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yup, good call.
  • Options
    I just talked with the recruiter and they said that I could try it for 6 month because it will be a contract to hire first.

Here is the job description, please let me know your thoughts:

REQUIREMENTS:

Expert in PC Desktops, Laptops, and Servers.
    Strong experience managing a Windows Environment: Sites, Active Directory
    Strong experience managing a Mac Environment: Mac OS X, Open Directory, Binding.

Strong understanding of ACL, security, and permission for Windows and Mac.
    Proficient with Common Network/Security Protocol: WPA, WPA2, AES, TKIP, TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, Apple Talk, Bonjour, FTP.
    Experience with Microsoft Windows 2003/2008 Server (SBS, Standard or Enterprise).
    Experience troubleshooting MS Office applications in both PC and Mac Environment.
    Expert in Microsoft Outlook 2003/2007/2010, MacMail, Entourage.

Proficient with Adobe Products and Editing Platforms like Final Cut Pro, Illustrator, CS, Universal Type Server.

Experience with Quantum Backup Tape Drives, Physical Libraries, Virtual Libraries, NetVault Backup Software.

Strong oral and written communication skills.

Excellent problem solving skills.

Strong attention to detail.
    Independent, organized individual who is willing to learn and requires minimal supervision.
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Not worth it IMO, look long-term. Good luck.

BTW, is this the same recruiter where you declined the offer? If all your doing is monitoring and not configurating/troubleshooting which is what your going for, I would advise you to be patient.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    WiseWun wrote: »
    Not worth it IMO, look long-term. Good luck.

BTW, is this the same recruiter where you declined the offer? If all your doing is monitoring and not configurating/troubleshooting which is what your going for, I would advise you to be patient.

This is the same offer. When I told the recruiter about my decision they freaked out...AKA they want their money. They said that I could try it for 6 months since it would be contract to hire, and that I should call my supervisor there to ask about the technologies.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I think you made a wise choice not accepting. I wouldn't do what the recruiter wants for 6 months, you'd just burn a bridge with that employer.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Recruiters will say anything. Not all of them are like that, but honestly if you told them no and they keep pushing you then they don't respect you, your ability to make up your own mind or your long term goals.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, and I truly mean it. I deeply appreciate your support.

After I talked with the recruiter this morning, I then talked with my would be supervisor this afternoon about the technologies they use and how the IT environment is setup. After I talked with him about it, I was convinced that this job wouldn't help me in my future. I then called the recruiter and told them about my decision. Needless to say they were pissed, and will never work with me again.

This studio is SO specialized in what they do that they need things to configured in a certain way. Plus, it's mostly Apple stuff, which it needs to be. I am not Apple bashing, it would be the same as it was a Linux shop. They don't have much Windows Servers, maybe 5-8. But they don't run things like SCCM, VMs, Veeam, etc (I don't even think that they have WSUS). Plus, there's no plans to add them, or expand, or improve the IT infrastructure. I would just be making sure that things are up and running.

If the job was closer, then I would be more likely to take it, but it's asking too much to relocate just a temp/maybe job. Plus, the underline problem still exists, about there being the lack of technologies that I need to expand my future, and no opportunities to improve the infrastructure.

I was just be so nearsighted about a job, that I was wiling to take anything. Instead of waiting for the right job that will help my future.

I Just had to get this off my chest.

Thanks again everyone!
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    You made the best decision. Believe me you don't want to take a new job that won't advance your career. It can be very difficult to recover from especially if it's a contract job and you are facing having to look for a new job in 6 months.

I came to my present job from a very large bank where I was a contractor and would be let go from in about 10 months. I was looking for a permanent job since I was getting married. The place I am working at now is pretty small and I'm not getting the experience I was hoping for. While I have learned a lot while I am here it just wasn't what I wanted to learn and doesn't help me at all in the field I want to be in. The bank didn't really help in that respect either but being there tell the end of my contract would still have been much better on my resume. I wish I would have waited for another opportunity than taking the current job I have now.

Hopefully you will find the right position soon. And stay away from that recruiting company. Believe me, if they find something they think you will be a good fit for they will be calling you back. Because like you said, they really want the money.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD