Options

What type of flexible entry level position to look for for someone that's in school?

tom_dubtom_dub Member Posts: 59 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all,

I posted about a week ago with a questions in regards to creating a resume, after looking through various entry level IT positions on craigslist for my area, it seems they all want the typical 9-5, 40 hour work week. I'm currently in school for Computer Science and it's pretty damn hard. My fiance and I will also be finding a place together within the next 5-6 months so regardless, I'll have to be working at least 30-40 hours a week while in school. My question is what kind of entry level IT jobs offer flexible hours and days usually? It would be ideal for me to work Thursday-Sunday, 3-11pm. That would leave most of the week for school and the weekends for working. Also, what certs would be good for these positions? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    You might be able to swing those hours at a call center or a smaller PC repair shop.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would look for a position on a NOC as that would probably give you the best shot at a needed schedule. If you could swing it, you might be able to do four tens. Poke around for positions titled NOC Analyst/Technician. Network+ and maybe A+ should cover you for those positions especially since you're in school.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Try workmarket.com and onforce.com if you can't find a good part time job in your area. I was pulling in an extra $1-2K a week working 20-40 hours. I live in a busier area (Southern California) so work order availability may differ depending on your area.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Look for a job at your college. They need to have at minimum helpdesk and desktop support positions to assist students and faculty.
    They understand the student lifestyle and can work in a schedule to fit with your classes.

As far as having to work 30-40 hours per week during school, that sounds like a setup for disaster. I'd suggest reconsidering finding a place until after you're done with college and have a more stable job.
  • Options
    mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Look for a job at your college. They need to have at minimum helpdesk and desktop support positions to assist students and faculty.
    They understand the student lifestyle and can work in a schedule to fit with your classes.
    This. I worked the student support desk when I was in college. The pay started close to minimum wage, but it was a great job for going to school.
  • Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    If money is important you may have to consider working the traditional 9-5 and scedule your school hours around that. I ended up doing that and while I miss being a full time student, the steady paycheck and work experience is a real comfort. It really all depends on your priorities and what options are open to you.
  • Options
    tom_dubtom_dub Member Posts: 59 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Money isn't too major of an issue, I just want to be able to afford my share of the expenses per month, which would probably come to around 6-700$. I agree with Akaricloud that working that much does sound like a recipe for disaster, but I come from a working class military area and have seen people with much more difficult situations pull it off. I also want to start working entry level IT through school to have a few years experience when I graduate which will enable me to find much better positions to compliment my degree.

I've taken a look at my school's Computer Science courses and they're all usually Monday-Thursday ranging from 0900-1300, so working the typical 9-5 weekday job is going to be out of the question. I appreciate the advice on NOC type jobs, I'll look into that, just not sure what job types offer flexible schedules as they never say on the advertisement.
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I was in the process of signing up for onforce and I saw all of these bad reviews on it. It seems like a good idea. Any body wanna throw out some good views on it. :)
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The guy who started onforce actually created workmarket as well.