Options

Future IT Guy (hopefully, maybe...eventually)

UnisticUnistic Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello!

First I've been looking at this website for the past two weeks. There's tons of information and great stories to read and this is in fact my first post because I need advice. First off I'm in the military going on eight years now. I'm a combat arms instructor and my job is to teach people how to fire weapons this is an awesome job. But my I've always had an interest in computers and all around technology.

I've recently finished my bachelor degree in criminal justice (military required CCAF). I really wanted to go to Western Governors University but I don't have an IT associate nor any actual experience in IT I'm just a fan so i couldn't get in. I'm now going to go to American Military University for a bachelor degree in Information Technology.

I was studying for comptia A+ which is really really dry except for the hands on part. I really want to get into this field and there's no real way until I get out of the military. From this site I saw IT boot camps that the GI Bill will pay for.

Will going to these boot camps for the entry level certs i.e A+ Net+ Sec+ would be a good idea for some one with no experience to gain a little along with some certs. I can take leave and go to the boot camps. I'm a really fast learner if there's a purpose to it.

Basically I'm a newbie who loves IT and I need you guys with the great knowledge and experience to put me on a decent path. I really wanted to go to WGU to get the degree along with the certs :/

Once again new guy looking for advice..... Its hard to get hands on training in IT when my military job doesn't relate to it at all.

Thanks!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Problem with going to a bootcamp that if you aren't working with it on a day to day basis you will forget all or most of the material. Do you have access to a computer you can take apart and rebuild? For comptia stuff you can use trainsignal or cbtnuggets. Mike myers seems pretty enthusiastic when talking about comptia products you tube some samples also. Seems like an awful waste for me to go to a rushed bootcamp when you are not even working with the material.

Not to sure wgu's policy regarding transferring in another bachelors for credit but I know at thomas edison state college they have a 2nd bachelors option. Which is if you have one already you just take the core classes in another major and they grant you the bachelors for that major.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Problem with going to a bootcamp that if you aren't working with it on a day to day basis you will forget all or most of the material.

+1. This is very important to remember before one pours his (or his company's) time and/or money into them.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A lot of IT is dry reading.

For A+, i'd recommend building your own computer. from scratch. Pick out parts, using a budget. Figure why you would go AMD/Intel, what motherboard features are, ram specs, if you see something you're unfamiliar with - google it. It's the most hands on that I could remember.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Thanks for the responses!!

And no I don't do it everyday unforuntantely its a hobby of mine that I really like. I've set up a room with computers that I've taken apart and put back together (desktops,netbooks, laptops). I'm also buying a barebone desktop here in a few weeks.

The reason why I wanted a boot camp is because I might get out in 2 more years and the certs last for 3. Which should allow me to roll into a government job with a degree and a few certs to. All the while I would do any hands on stuff doing my free time.

I was also looking online since I don't work with computers there's no hands on experience I can gain. But then there's also programming. Which you can get experience from any computer online. For you guys who have already choosen a career path may I ask why? There's hardware (technician/networking), database, and programming to choose between.

In today's economy which career paths over the most jobs seeing I have a wife and three kids this is important. I love computers all around and with the G.I bill and TA I can go any directions. I love hardware I just don't know it at all. I've taught my self basic programming language W3Schools Online Web Tutorials awesome site btw. And I've build websites using content managers i.e wordpress/joomla etc.

I'm just lost and looking for a light to walk towards lol. Also I've searched the interent just to have an open mind do anyone know of boot camps located in Missouri covered by the G.I Bill.

Thanks!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I got some good news today. The first if I stay in the military and complete my degree I can cross train into an IT related career field. Second, Western Governors called today I can attend their school if I complete a certification. Which I'm working on A+ and I'm contemplating buying the trainsignal.

I'm still interested in the boot camp just to complete the cert. I can study on my own but I have no serious hands on experience. The camp will provide enough for a newbie. But I can't seem to find any in Missouri that's good and takes the G.I bill. At the moment I've got desktops/laptops to play with i.e taking apart and creating a simple network.

Lastly, what made some of you choose the technical part of IT instead of database or programming. Atleast with programming I could gain alittle more hands on online. I've played around with mysql database when building sites using content management systems (wordpress,joomla,forums,etc). I really love technology and want to work in it forever. But I also need to get into a field with decent job openings cause I have a wife and 3 kids to worry about lol.

Once again any advice is good advice. Thanks!!
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Why would you want to pay for the training videos if you can get them for free? Google Professor Messer, he made great video lectures for most of CompTIA exams. I didn't use his A+ videos, but Security+ were pretty good.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Unistic wrote: »
    ...The reason why I wanted a boot camp is because I might get out in 2 more years and the certs last for 3. Which should allow me to roll into a government job with a degree and a few certs to. All the while I would do any hands on stuff doing my free time...

Any chance you could re-class for an IT MOS instead of getting out? I don't know what your pay grade is so it's hard to tell.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    I was watching Prof. Messer at work it was interesting I was just told that trainsignal was better??? And I can't reclass cause I'm on a re-enlistment bonus and my career field is in demand -.- . I'm a combat arms instructor, I teach and train people how to fire weapons. I could only cross train if I had a degree that's my loop hole. I'm trying to dedicate 3 months of studying before testing for A+.

And again if anyone have information on a training camp in Missouri link me please!! Thanks!
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    I recently took and passed the CIW foundations exam (1D0-510). You could study for this exam for I'd say a week at the most and pass with flying colors. I had no IT experience on the job and really only used my computer for playing games up until recently. I did purchase the uCertify materials and in retrospect they were overkill but I did learn a lot. It is probably the most basic certification exam requirement for most of the IT degree programs at WGU. Plus you have some html/css experience already. If you want to fast track into WGU that is probably a better exam to take than the A+. On the other hand, you can study for multiple certs at the same time and enroll when you are ready to take the A+. A little head start never hurts.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1