Options

Passed ICND2: Couple questions on what to do now?

sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
Good afternoon,

I passed my ICND2 earlier completing my CCNAicon_bounce.gif. Very glad to have the CCNA behind me!

Nevertheless, over the past days I have been contemplating what I should do next. I currently work doing level 2 help desk with no networking job duties. I have been debating a few options:

1. Carry on towards CCNP ( This seems the most logical step since CISCO is on my mind.)

2. Take a mini break and do Comptia Project + ( Was considering Project+ for some sort of managerial skills*Pass Project then go back to CCNP)

3.Go down the Microsoft MCITP tract ( Was considering this to become more diverse since I really do not have a focus at this point in my career. )

Personally, I love Cisco. I have looked over a few MS cert books, and the content does not appeal to me like Cisco. I am sure I could get into MS if that was my main focus, But I am leaving the MS option out there, for it may be more wise to become diverse.

The IT director here at my work told me to stay with Cisco.

Nonetheless, I am just looking for tips/recommendations on which direction to go. I am sure some of you all have made this decision before. I know this is more of a General forum question, but I wanted to get advice from the Cisco side not all of the above =)

Any advice will be appreciated.
Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security

Comments

• Options
    mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm on the same page as you. Finished my ICND2 couple weeks ago. Support position that allows me to study.

I'm working on Sec+, but i've already been reading CCNP material.

The theory is to keep working on the cisco stuff until I get TOO big for my current position, and the only way to keep learning cisco is to actually do cisco.

Do what you want. As for me, I'm looking for leverage.
  • Options
    Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First of all, congratulations! I'm going to be taking ICND2 within the next few days, and I've been pondering what to do next as well. Here's my two cents:

1. Grab another CCNA! From what I hear, CCNA: Security is a smooth transition, and could be a great way to add more value to your Cisco path.

2. CCNP - I'm going to avoid this for the time being, seeing as though I don't work in the field yet

3. Take a break from certification and dive into 'Network Warrior' - I recently purchased this book, and I hear its great for filling in the gaps the CCNA leaves us with

4. Linux - I've been mulling this one over. To me it seems many people start in NOC's or Data Centers for their first networking gig, and Linux seems to have a strong presence in that space.

I think my path will be ICND2 > CCNA: Sec > Linux+ (and later LPI-2 if I'm interested / good at it)
  • Options
    mguy wrote: »
    I'm on the same page as you. Finished my ICND2 couple weeks ago. Support position that allows me to study.

I'm working on Sec+, but i've already been reading CCNP material.

The theory is to keep working on the cisco stuff until I get TOO big for my current position, and the only way to keep learning cisco is to actually do cisco.

Do what you want. As for me, I'm looking for leverage.

Thanks for the reply - I wish I was "working" in Cisco, and thats what kinda makes me wonder if its worth going deeper into. A CCNP with no experience would be kinda weird don't ya think?
  • Options
    Ccnp!!!

Right to the point ha - Thanks!
  • Options
    YFZblu wrote: »
    First of all, congratulations! I'm going to be taking ICND2 within the next few days, and I've been pondering what to do next as well. Here's my two cents:

1. Grab another CCNA! From what I hear, CCNA: Security is a smooth transition, and could be a great way to add more value to your Cisco path.

2. CCNP - I'm going to avoid this for the time being, seeing as though I don't work in the field yet

3. Take a break from certification and dive into 'Network Warrior' - I recently purchased this book, and I hear its great for filling in the gaps the CCNA leaves us with

4. Linux - I've been mulling this one over. To me it seems many people start in NOC's or Data Centers for their first networking gig, and Linux seems to have a strong presence in that space.

I think my path will be ICND2 > CCNA: Sec > Linux+ (and later LPI-2 if I'm interested / good at it)

I am looking into CCNA:S - I also have considered a bit of a Linux route.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Raywire86Raywire86 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After finishing my icnd2, I was in the same position. After thinking it over, I decided to focus on CCNA-wireless and CWNA (I'm doing them both at the same time since there is a lot of overlap). Like some suggested, "network warrior" seems like a great idea, and I plan on doing that after my wireless stuff so that I really solidify my ccna level knowledge.

I chose wireless since I work tech support in a warehouse where wireless is super important. Maybe you can look around your work for inspiration?
  • Options
    prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    I would go with CCNP. It will make you more comfortable on technical interviews. You don't have to include it in your resume if you think it might hurt your chances of getting an entry level networking job. My technical interview that is suppose to be on CCNA level material included questions about BGP, multi-area OSPF, and PBR. When you're competing with those who have experience, it would help a lot if you do extremely well on the technical.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • Options
    Raywire86 wrote: »
    After finishing my icnd2, I was in the same position. After thinking it over, I decided to focus on CCNA-wireless and CWNA (I'm doing them both at the same time since there is a lot of overlap). Like some suggested, "network warrior" seems like a great idea, and I plan on doing that after my wireless stuff so that I really solidify my ccna level knowledge.

I chose wireless since I work tech support in a warehouse where wireless is super important. Maybe you can look around your work for inspiration?

I have the Network Warrior book, and I have read through it, but I rather spend my main time working towards a cert. Do not get me wrong I will spend some time in NW, but I mainly want to be chasing a cert.

Thanks
  • Options
    prtech wrote: »
    I would go with CCNP. It will make you more comfortable on technical interviews. You don't have to include it in your resume if you think it might hurt your chances of getting an entry level networking job. My technical interview that is suppose to be on CCNA level material included questions about BGP, multi-area OSPF, and PBR. When you're competing with those who have experience, it would help a lot if you do extremely well on the technical.

You make a good point about the interview questions - Thanks
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would avoid CompTIA. There really is no reason to go for that once you have the CCNA. That is just my personal opinion.
  • Options
    I would avoid CompTIA. There really is no reason to go for that once you have the CCNA. That is just my personal opinion.

Yea I was hesitant of CompTIA, but I knew it would be an easy cert to get during a kind of Cisco break. Just a consideration is all.

Thanks
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Take the ROUTE exam while your CCNA concepts are still fresh. Break into CCNA Security after that then take SWITCH (there are some good security items that CCNA Security addresses for the SWITCH exam). Take CCNA Voice or CCDA after that and then shoot for TSHOOT. You'll be well rounded by the time you achieve CCNP :)
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hey just tossing in my two cents.

Recently had a contract end on me 1 year before it was scheduled and I was going to hunker down.. finish my ICND2 and get Security plus in a 3 week window... unfortunately(because i had a really good plan for studying!) for me I had my resume up and "finally" got an offer for a job I couldn't refuse.. so my studying has been delayed but I aim to get back on it starting today... I’ve not done any real studying in last week.

Personally After CCNA Security +

With the position I have here as a Desktop Level 3 Support Analyst I have direct contact with SCCM 2012.. and support Windows 7 and 2008r2 on an Enterprise level, they are even updating to Windows 8 here in a controlled test next week with Windows 2012... I wanted to focus and be a Cisco guy, with Linux as a secondary... but I'm thinking MCITP 680-686 and then MCITP for Server Administrator 640-642-646... (since the job allows day to day access and learning) before I get back into Cisco line by hopefully January....I wonder if the new information for CCNA Security will be out.. and I can get that and Voice.. before focusing on CCNP around April of next year... I really wanted and preferred to get into Linux.. but I feel I want to maximize my chances of being and staying in good jobs, and working on my studies on the side with Linux. Right now im more concerned with providing for my kid and even though I'm not that much into Windows, I don't want to have to worry about being attractive job wise with no network expierence trying to get a network gig.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yea I was hesitant of CompTIA, but I knew it would be an easy cert to get during a kind of Cisco break. Just a consideration is all.

Thanks

Yes, but an expensive one :)
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    It would definitely be helpful for your job if you were to do the MCITP track. You could easily to the EDST or EDA.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    Take the ROUTE exam while your CCNA concepts are still fresh. Break into CCNA Security after that then take SWITCH (there are some good security items that CCNA Security addresses for the SWITCH exam). Take CCNA Voice or CCDA after that and then shoot for TSHOOT. You'll be well rounded by the time you achieve CCNP :)

I like the sound of this plan ha Well rounded for sure.
  • Options
    4_lom wrote: »
    It would definitely be helpful for your job if you were to do the MCITP track. You could easily to the EDST or EDA.

I would consider a desktop support cert, but I would do it as a side gig if thats even possible. Like 20% MS and 80% Cisco.. That could be a formula for disaster though.. I just really do not want to spend time on a desktop support cert when that's what I eventually want to step away from.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Seeing as you have your Security+, you might want to consider Project+. That's something only you could decide.

As far as CCNP. I don't work in the field and don't get to use NP-level knowledge a lot. Putting it on my resume would most likely be the death of my interview. With CCNP comes expectations of a position where are no longer entry-level. You're a manager at that point. Now I say this because I thought it. I took a long hard look at what CCNP means. I asked people questions in life and here. Bottom line though - Getting a CCNP is about dedication. Go ahead and get CCNP, but just make sure you have experience to back it up.

With that said, I've chosen to study - but not test for the CCNP. II want to test for the other ccna certifications first - entry-level positions. While I may know more than CCNA-level. I would rather the persons to think I'm an "Awesome CCNA" versus a "Crappy CCNP". I don't have much hands-on, real-world, live experience. I installed a switch that was configured by a cisco consultant, that was it :)

It doesn't hurt to get management skills. Really though - Any knowledge you get - Microsoft, Unix, Apple, CompTIA, CIW... It's knowledge. And there's a lot of it out there. Pick your favorite topic and go for it. I would say that CompTIA would be better as a well-rounded gainer. Not something spectacular, but basic knowledge and you've shown interest to get the knowledge. CompTIA gets a lot of flak for being basic and you may not want to be tested. But you know I think of it this way:

Go to an interview and say one of two phrases:

1) "I have passed." Throw me to the wolves. I'm certified, Willing to learn, Willing to adapt, I'm your IT man (300 Battle-Cry, yes?)

2) "I think I can pass." I'm unsure of myself, I may cost your company more money for projects, don't pick me.

I think Number #1 would be my next Hire!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Seeing as you have your Security+, you might want to consider Project+. That's something only you could decide.

As far as CCNP. I don't work in the field and don't get to use NP-level knowledge a lot. Putting it on my resume would most likely be the death of my interview. With CCNP comes expectations of a position where are no longer entry-level. You're a manager at that point. Now I say this because I thought it. I took a long hard look at what CCNP means. I asked people questions in life and here. Bottom line though - Getting a CCNP is about dedication. Go ahead and get CCNP, but just make sure you have experience to back it up.

With that said, I've chosen to study - but not test for the CCNP. II want to test for the other ccna certifications first - entry-level positions. While I may know more than CCNA-level. I would rather the persons to think I'm an "Awesome CCNA" versus a "Crappy CCNP". I don't have much hands-on, real-world, live experience. I installed a switch that was configured by a cisco consultant, that was it :)

It doesn't hurt to get management skills. Really though - Any knowledge you get - Microsoft, Unix, Apple, CompTIA, CIW... It's knowledge. And there's a lot of it out there. Pick your favorite topic and go for it. I would say that CompTIA would be better as a well-rounded gainer. Not something spectacular, but basic knowledge and you've shown interest to get the knowledge. CompTIA gets a lot of flak for being basic and you may not want to be tested. But you know I think of it this way:

Go to an interview and say one of two phrases:

1) "I have passed." Throw me to the wolves. I'm certified, Willing to learn, Willing to adapt, I'm your IT man (300 Battle-Cry, yes?)

2) "I think I can pass." I'm unsure of myself, I may cost your company more money for projects, don't pick me.

I think Number #1 would be my next Hire!

You make a good point about about CCNP being a manager type cert. I do admit as I stated in an earlier post that I would fill kind of silly having a CCNP with 0 hands on accept for labs.. Like on another extreme a CCIE with no real life work experience. Sure it can be done, but I think its kinda silly.

I do not understand how having a CCNP would be the death of an interview? Of course I kinda see what you mean by how a CCNP with no real work experience is odd.

I have been looking into MS certs this evening, and I just cant get into it. I find I really just have no care for how Windows 7 works to the fullest. I know thats bad... but ehh I am just being honest. The admin side of MS interest me more, but not much more.

Based on your opinion, and how I feel CCNA : Sec may be a nice way to go.

Thanks for your reply.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some people won't look at a CCNP without experience. It'll be tossed. You'll also be expected to know more than CCNP - which rightly so. You are You'll be grilled harder on questions (which is fine) but certifications can't cover everything you'll come into contact in the real world. It's merely a guideline for education. Passing a certification means you've met those guidelines at a basic level.

At a CCNA, entry-level, you're expected to not know how to do much. You're expected to ask a lot of silly questions, to freeze, to second guess. You're going to make mistakes more often, but less harmful mistakes. At the NP, you should have most of those mistakes ironed out through experience. Whether that experience is with dealing with VPs, customers, equipment quarks, projects, documentation, troubleshooting, planning.

I'm not saying a NP knows all. Surely not. I'm also not saying an IE knows everything. IE's just get to wear capes. It's been said that "Once you become a CCIE, you realize what you don't know."

Another way to look at it: Driving a car in a video game at 200 MPH is different than driving the exact same car, same course, same setup (as much as you can get) in the real world.
    Unless you have experience driving a car at 200 MPH, it's hard to expect someone that just passed their drivers license to do 200 MPH.
    Unless of course they drove illegally, or had their own private race track... Not many of us have the latter, unfortantly icon_sad.gif

I'd like to go for my CCNP. But I'd rather look awesome first, and have a chance to prove them right later. I'll see you on the CCNA:Security+ soon :)

http://www.amazon.com/ROUTE-642-902-Official-Certification-Guide/dp/1587202530/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1343347896&sr=8-1#reader_1587202530
    Read 6-10 pages.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Roguetadhg: I think you are making a perfect point. I'd also probably study for CCNP, but I don't think I'd want to take the tests until I have at least a couple years of experience.

To the topic starter: did you consider taking MS 70-642? With CCNA, it shouldn't be too difficult.
  • Options
    prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    The only problem with a CCNP without experience is expecting to get a CCNP level job. If you apply for an entry-level networking job, then you should be fine. The questions that they ask on technical interviews are based on the position not on the candidates.

If the company is good and they have room for growth, then there should be no worries of you jumping ship.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Some people won't look at a CCNP without experience. It'll be tossed. You'll also be expected to know more than CCNP - which rightly so.

You'll be grilled harder on questions (which is fine) but certifications can't cover everything you'll come into contact in the real world. It's merely a guideline for education. Passing a certification means you've met those guidelines at a basic level.

At a CCNA, entry-level, you're expected to not know how to do much. You're expected to ask a lot of silly questions, to freeze, to second guess. You're going to make mistakes more often, but less harmful mistakes.

Another way to look at it: Driving a car in a video game at 200 MPH is different than driving the exact same car, same course, same setup (as much as you can get) in the real world.

Unless you have experience driving a car at 200 MPH, it's hard to expect someone that just passed their drivers license to do 200 MPH.

I *am now* planning on studying for my CCNA based on the mind-set above:

1. Study like *I am* gonna be someone who can drive 200 mph in real life with just CCNA or even CCENT !!
    2. Study like I want the experience that *can* cover everything I will come into contact in the real world even if I'm just studying and no work experience!!
    3. Study "to know" my resume will not be tossed when I get my CCNP after my CCNA even with no exp!!

I am feeling re-energized because I constantly has the feeling my efforts would not be worth it and now I want to guarantee and prove the naysayers wrong that I will can not only pass with but with an eye for experience in mind! This mind-set really helps to change the intensity and motivation of my study knowing what I won't be getting!!!!
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! CCNP next!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    I plan on taking my CCNA in the next week. For me personally I have had one interview, one pre-screening, and one local friend in the industry all mention the need for firewall and adaptive security appliance knowledge. That is enough for me to decide to go straight into CCNA: Security, then CompTia Secuirty+ or the other way around.
  • Options
    xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    Yeah, it seems every job these days around CCNA level requires VPN/firewall knowledge. I would have done CCNA:Security straight after my CCNA, but I have decided to wait for the new test to come out, that I feel is a better overall cert. Doing some MS certs in the mean time.
  • Options
    After reading everyone's thoughts in this thread, and doing my own research this is what I have decided to do.

I am going to do CCNA:SEC next, and then do 1 or 2 MS certs that are network sever based ( have not looked into them yet, but I know there are a few) So yea do 1 or 2 MS certs Vs doing the whole MCITP. Being a server admin is not really my goal, but I am so new to the IT field its really hard to rule out where my future will take me. Nonetheless, my preference is still routers and switches so after the couple MS certs I will probably do CCNP with or without real life exp.

I am doing the MS certs just to be able to show I have MS skills. I feel like showing some MS skills is a plus if not a must.

Thanks to all who replied!