Options

certification kits

glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
I saw an ad advertising CCNA kits that come with routers and other goodies. They look relatively cheap, too. Just wondering if anyone has purchased them? What are your thoughts? :)
A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    How much is it and what items are included in the kit?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    CCNA Certification Kits

There's a list of the kits. I'm really not familiar with networking hardware icon_redface.gif so any advice would be greatly appreciated
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Yes, need to see what exactly is included. Many times they are either very old equipment or overpriced. Most here will recommend staying away from kits and purchasing exactly what you need and can afford. There's a lot of value on building your own lab piece by piece and learning the differences between the different models.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Buying kits is the most expensive, easiest, reliable way.

Most people around here recommend digging through eBay. You'll never know what you'll find - good and bad. The experience with dealing with troublesome routers, or having to upgrade, or resetting, or... You can see where this can get good.

Basicly troubleshooting problems is an added benefit for ebay shopping for routers and switches. You can find some good deals, and it's definitely cheaper. You just need to weed through the material and make sure that what you need is listed.

That said, I'll probably buy a beginner's cheap kit first.

My only problem is with getting IOS files from cisco. It's a very expensive thing to do - although i'm foggy on "how" to do it now.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Those guys are a little pricey in my opinion. I bought a $500 CCNP lab off of Snappy-seller on ebay and 3 year later, it's still running great. He's got some good labs at about $400:
    Cisco CCNA CCNP LAB 2500 2501 ROUTER 2924 SWITCH + RACK | eBay

Cisco CCNA/CCNP Lab 3 x 2501 Catalyst 2900 Bonus DVD | eBay
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Those guys are a little pricey in my opinion. I bought a $500 CCNP lab off of Snappy-seller on ebay and 3 year later, it's still running great. He's got some good labs at about $400:
    Cisco CCNA CCNP LAB 2500 2501 ROUTER 2924 SWITCH + RACK | eBay

Cisco CCNA/CCNP Lab 3 x 2501 Catalyst 2900 Bonus DVD | eBay

I'll check these out! Thanks!!