Options

backtrack systems

what system do yall use to run backtrack

i have 3 netbooks that need a little tlc and i thought one would make a cool backtrack box
wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Comments

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Currently running my install on my dell as a VM in workstation. Really need to invest in a dedicated box, but that requires money.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Pretty much anything should run it. Its pretty much Ubuntu, so not nearly as process intensive as Windows. One thing you might want to consider (if you are going to be using it for wireless testing) is the integrated wireless card. Unfortunately, it is often difficult to find documentation that will indicate if your integrated wireless card will support packet injection. I'd recommend running a live boot version on each and give it a test whirl on each before installing it to a system. I have two laptops...an HP and a Toshiba. The Toshiba integrated card supported wireless injection, but the HP did not. However, I still use my HP (and got an external ALFA adapter for it) because it actually holds a charge.

Just run a few tests with aireplay commands to test packet injection functionality.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I used to have it running on my Aspire One netbook and an old Macbook Pro 1,1 but now I just have it install as a VM on my Acer ultrabook.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I run BT5r2 on virtual box with my MBP retina. It runs fine and the internet works with my onboard wireless, however i have not tested this without virtualizing the OS. I will do a live boot via USB if possible and see if it works like that.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    FalasiFalasi Member Posts: 115
    I use HP Mini , works perfectly fine until you want to check youtube or something like that then it starts failing. now however I use it only for testing.
  • Options
    camomancamoman Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Last year I was running it on a Dell Latitude 600 Pent 4 with Alfa AWUS...usb adapter..As long as you have 1 GB of memory and 40 gb HD you should be fine
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have it running as a VM on my HP Pavillion, an IBM Thinkpad P series, and MBP that has 8 GB RAM running 4 other VMs. I also have it running on a USB.
    The_hutch is right about the OS and the wireless card. The card may run around $250.00 USD.
  • Options
    Something else to keep in mind. Offensive Security recommends the use of the ALFA AWUS036H external USB wireless card. I strongly recommend you IGNORE THIS SUGGESTION. I say this because the ALFA AWUS036H only works on the 2.4 GHz frequency band (i.e. 802.11b/g), but everybody is starting to move toward dual-band (2.4/5.0 GHz) 802.11n. If you use their recommended adapter on a dual-band transmission, you will not be able to capture all of the traffic. I recommend getting the ALFA AWUS036NHR. The problem is...its not plug-in-play. However, it can be made to work on BTK5. So it really depends on if you would rather have a wireless adapter that is already obsolete (and will soon be completely useless for traffic monitoring) but is plug-in-play friendly with BTK5...or an adapter that will actually get the job done, but is going to take some work to get it configured and working.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i think im gonna go the getto dual booth method and use a usb drive to boot back track from ... they make usb drives so small i can plug it in and forget it

i got it working on one system all but bluetooth so if i want bluetooth ill get a usb adapter
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the_hutch wrote: »
    Something else to keep in mind. Offensive Security recommends the use of the ALFA AWUS036H external USB wireless card. I strongly recommend you IGNORE THIS SUGGESTION. I say this because the ALFA AWUS036H only works on the 2.4 GHz frequency band (i.e. 802.11b/g), but everybody is starting to move toward dual-band (2.4/5.0 GHz) 802.11n. If you use their recommended adapter on a dual-band transmission, you will not be able to capture all of the traffic. I recommend getting the ALFA AWUS036NHR. The problem is...its not plug-in-play. However, it can be made to work on BTK5. So it really depends on if you would rather have a wireless adapter that is already obsolete (and will soon be completely useless for traffic monitoring) but is plug-in-play friendly with BTK5...or an adapter that will actually get the job done, but is going to take some work to get it configured and working.

I heard it now works with BT5 R2 fine (not perfectly). BT 5 R3 is going live on august 13 so i guess it will provide better support to really use the full potential of this antenna.

Thanks for your hint. Im planning on getting this antenna to test and stuff.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    VMware 32 bit, cuz cant run 64 bit in Vm
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I use an Asus eeePC that I use as my BT box. It works pretty well - some of the more processor intensive operations struggle, but that's to be expected from something that's only powered by an Atom processor. I've thought about getting an Ultrabook/Macbook Air to use as my next BT box, but the lack of a wired network jack bothers me. So, I'll stick with my eeePC for now.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    Been looking pretty hard at a Dell ultrabook myself for a dedicated box. However the price point is what's killing me.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Been looking pretty hard at a Dell ultrabook myself for a dedicated box. However the price point is what's killing me.
    Personally, if I were to drop Ultrabook type money on a new laptop, my choice would be the MacBook Air. The Air and the Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook are so similar in specs and price, it makes more sense to go with the Air because it's capable of running and additional OS (Mac OS)...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    We had a brand new air in the office a few days ago, and I got to messing around with it a bit. I honestly felt like I was going to break it, although I can't say I wouldn't feel the same with a Dell or other ultrabook as I haven't actually had hands on with them yet. Nice system and I really do need to learn more about OS-X, so certainly something to consider. Although i'm looking at the 1k range or so on prices, even that's a bit of a stretch at the moment.
  • Options
    hyp

you may wanna look at a used dell vostro on ebay its a core 2 duo ... nvm here is a link

Dell Vostro V13 - Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Thin and Light NETBOOK 053702014776 | eBay

not as nice as a new ultrabook but just about as thin, all but the bluetooth works with backtrack 5r2

edit: only 1 ram slot so it can be upgraded to 4 gig
  • Options
    Ooooh that's not bad at all actually. Thanks for the link, that's a good bit more attainable price wise at the moment.
  • Options
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    Personally, if I were to drop Ultrabook type money on a new laptop, my choice would be the MacBook Air. The Air and the Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook are so similar in specs and price, it makes more sense to go with the Air because it's capable of running and additional OS (Mac OS)...

Personally, I've never used apple products for pentesting. Are you speaking of using BTK5 as a VM operating within OSX? Or a dual boot OSX/BTK5?

Is it fairly easy to install BTK5 native on an apple system? Dual-boot?
  • Options
    the_hutch wrote: »
    Personally, I've never used apple products for pentesting. Are you speaking of using BTK5 as a VM operating within OSX? Or a dual boot OSX/BTK5?

Is it fairly easy to install BTK5 native on an apple system? Dual-boot?

I've run Linux as the only OS on Apple hardware as well as running OSX with BT as a VM. I've never tried to dual boot OSX and Linux, so I don't have any experience. Running Linux on Apple hardware is pretty straight forward - it's just like installing it on any other hardware. If you want to run Linux in a VM, I like Virtualbox. I suppose that I could try to dualboot one of these days... But I normally use my MacBook for mobile development.
  • Options
    I currently use Virtual Box to install all my virtual machines on my sony vaio. Virtualbox works flawless. Im thinking of getting a nice mac book pro and install backtrack and other vm's over OSX with virtualbox or other virtualization software.

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @gabypr,

Are you thinking about getting a Mac Pro just to put VM's on it?
  • Options
    chaser7783chaser7783 Member Posts: 154
    I run the old slackware version with updated utilities on a Hp dv7.
  • Options
    @gabypr,

Are you thinking about getting a Mac Pro just to put VM's on it?

not only for pen testing but for everything else, studying, creating docs, internet, etc. the new retina ones looks so cool but could cost with 16gb of ram like $2500.

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Personally I wouldn't buy a mac book pro which cost $2500 for all the reasons you mentioned above. You can easily get a laptop just as capable for less than half of that amount. Then you can use the other money to buy another monitor so you view addition applications, security books, etc...
  • Options
    Killj0yKillj0y Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use a ASUS RoG G74S series laptop and a custom built desktop. Both dual boot with Backtrack 5 R3 right w/ Windows for work/gaming. The desktop I am just learning is doing well for password cracking.
    Certifications: GPEN, SMFE, CISSP, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, Security+, CEHv6, MCSE+Sec:2003
  • Options
    gabypr wrote: »
    I currently use Virtual Box to install all my virtual machines on my sony vaio. Virtualbox works flawless. Im thinking of getting a nice mac book pro and install backtrack and other vm's over OSX with virtualbox or other virtualization software.
    You should opt for this choice, I did and i love my MBPR with virtual box :)
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
  • Options
    i ended up with the dell latitude l13/vostro v13 as my portable linux system the 13.3 in screen is a huge improvement over the other netbooks 10in screens
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    You should opt for this choice, I did and i love my MBPR with virtual box :)

thanks, im just thinking about options. i havent had a mac before thats why im thinking about it. well see ;)

• Options
    I got the basic one which is 8gb of ram, i should have gotten a larger HD though. 16gb of ram is a lot , but if you can afford it then go for it. However with a larger HD and 16gb ram upgrade that laptop is just about 3k icon_sad.gif i paid for mine with the basic options with sales tax it came out to 2300.
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    I got the basic one which is 8gb of ram, i should have gotten a larger HD though. 16gb of ram is a lot , but if you can afford it then go for it. However with a larger HD and 16gb ram upgrade that laptop is just about 3k icon_sad.gif i paid for mine with the basic options with sales tax it came out to 2300.

yeah its a lot. thanks for your info, i appreciate it.