What projects are you throwing your Raspberry Pi at ?

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
I am finally at a point where I am happy with the setup and I love it.

I am currently building a vSphere-using-multiple-systems "in a box" lab and the Raspberry Pi now lives inside the case as a router.

I got a USB NIC for the PI which works flawlessly with the PI (inluding USB keyboard so there is enough oompf) using Wheezy Raspbian.

So the PI is now my Router which performs NAT as well, VPN server (just PPTP), DHCP and NFS .. happy happy :)

Anyone else using it for something else but a mediacenter ?
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I'm thinking of doing much the same, but using Fedora and tossing squid on it. But, that's a ways off as I've got too many projects in line.

You're setup sounds good and I'll be doing something similar soon. Although, I don't think the Pi will have a home there and instead I'll be using a Cisco 1720 with my ESXi server in a box.

For my second Pi, I'm still up in the air.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've just setup a mail server on mine today.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nothing! I put the RaspBMC image on mine, and I use it as a media center. Works beautifully.

Edit: You asked about projects BESIDES media centers. That's what I get for not reading...
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Haven't got the Pi yet, but plan to use it in a VoIP project involving Google Phone...
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    varelg, can you elaborate on your plans? It sounds interesting.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Making a star field laser display...

So using the Pi to generate a star field as a X,Y coordinates + brightness. I am currently just using simple ellipse equations to generate 2000 random orbiting points.

Now looking at how to control a 3/4 channel 12bit DAC or some thing to feed a amp to control two Galvos in a single laser scanner from the Pi. Not sure how this will work and if I could instead purchase a laser projector to simplify things.

The idea is to end up with a laser scanner/DAC that can accept a standard X,Y plot from the pi. and once up and working, look to incress the complexity of the generated field. Either but introducing real star maps, or introducing gravity and mass in the random fields.

The Pi side of things will be written in perl (as I have some experience in this already). But the rest I have little idea as it looks like I will have to fix up some scanning soft ware to turn the X,Y plots in to analog voltages and timings, this will need a realtime clock so I might have to hand of this to a separate board.

So far I have the star field working :) and looking in to the hard ware side of things.

At the moment my Pi is a NAS box / web-server when I am not testing and its turned on. The idea is once I get back from holiday and have some more news it will serve the details of the progress of above project.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    onesaint wrote: »
    varelg, can you elaborate on your plans? It sounds interesting.
    Would install Asterisk (or some other pbx open source software) on the Pi, collect dtmf input from caller, code some IVR prompts to play upon the dtmf pickup. All is voip, no need for special h/ware, should work at least in theory...
    The call to be picked up is a google phone call...