Options

logging onto a domain

duct boyduct boy Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I just set up a Domain on one of my laptops running windows 2003 server
I setup my other laptop running xp pro and connected the 2, by a netgear router. The reason for doing this as im studying for 70-270 and
need experience in a domain enviroment as i have never seen one before. The problem is it takes about 5 minutes to log onto the server from my xp machine is this normal or have i mucked something up.
Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Well, I'm not real great at this myself, but I want to be sure that when you say that you're "logging onto the server", what you mean is that you're logging onto the domain at the XP machine. You log onto the server at the server or by some remote means from another PC that is already on the domain. What happens is that your account is accepted as valid according to username and password that you enter at the XP machine by the account information in Active Directory.(I'm thinking out loud here, for the most part.)

When you finally get logged onto the domain, can you access the shares that you have created on the Server? And, does the XP machine show up in Computers in Active Directory Users and Computers? Can you log onto the domain at the server OK with the same user account? And, can you access the shares on the XP machine from the server? Have you experienced this slowness at the XP machine every time you've logged on? It figures the first time, maybe, because the account has to be created on that machine.

It seems to me that laptops are notoriously slow anyway(compared to a desktop anyway.)

Now that I've said all of that, let's consider the router. I would try connecting server to client with a crossover patch cable, leaving the router completely out of the picture, and see if things go faster. It may be something in the router making the network slow. That's one thing about a network, the more devices and cable length involved, the greater the chance of slow communications.

I'll be watching this, and maybe someone else will put in with a brilliant assessment. Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    Same thing happened to me - except it took a long time the first time only. My assumption is that is was building a user profile since it was the first login.

Does this happen to you after the first login to the domain?
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Is the router providing dhcp ip addresses or is it being assigned by win 2003 server? Are you using cables or wireless? Did you add the domain account to local computer groups eg administator, power users, users...?
    What next?
  • Options
    Wow! I didnt expect to get replys that quick and in such detail, thanks everyone.
    Well when i say logon i mean that i log on to the domain from my xp laptop machine.
    It is slow each time i log on,I created the account on the Domain laptop and then loged onto the domain using the user name and password i set up from the domain laptop with the xp machine, I never created a user from the xp laptop, Im sory if my terminology isnt correct as this is very new to me as i have had no previous experience with Domains, user accounts, etc
    I dont know if the router is assigning the dhcp or the server and to be honest idont know how to determine this. I would assume its the router as It always has done.
    I will buy a crossover cable and try the direct connection method and see if that helps.
    I connect to the router by CAT 5 cables all devices support 100Mbs.

What would a normal logon time be ?
    Once again thanks for all the help Its much appreciated
  • Options
    Hi everyone....Ive just sorted my logon problem thanks to your help,

it was a DHCP problem, I went into network connection on the domain laptop and navigated my way to the advanced tcp/ip settings and then selected the wins tab, I then un checked the enable LMHOST lookup box,
    then checked the disable netbios over tcp/ip.
    And that was it it now logs on in 5 seconds, I must admit this was pure luck as im not sure how this effects it but as in one of your post, you said it might be a DHCP problem i looked for anything to do with that.
    This is where i found that the NetBios setting was checked at default, and in the default settings it reads "Use NetBios settings from DHCP server.If static IP address is used or the DHCP server does not provide NetBios settings enable NetBios over TCP/IP"

Thanks for all your help
  • Options
    StarterStarter Member Posts: 169
    I had the same kind of problem. The problem was that I forgot to put the server's ip address as the primary dns on my win xp pro machine.
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Great that you figured it was a dhcp issue. thats really good of you! My first inclination... icon_cool.gif
    What next?
  • Options
    I didnt figure it you did jmc724 :D thanks for your advice
    while your here is there any easy way to describe an active directory
    as when i read about it, the impression i get is that its just a volume with files folders printers on it , if thats the case why all the fuss,
    I no im showing my ignorance on this matter so could you help me or will i take forever to explain.

cheers
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    An active directory could span many volumes, many computers, and many directories. Active directory includes users, computers, and resources, also active directory provides a centralized way to manage these resources. As you actually use and apply different parts of active directory, it will become more and more clear to you what it is. Some things in the IT world are like that. You can read 100 definitions and listen to 100 people explain a topic to you, but sometimes it wont click until you dig in and experience using it.
  • Options
    3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    You can read 100 definitions and listen to 100 people explain a topic to you, but sometimes it wont click until you dig in and experience using it

I would agree with you on that one, im still having problems with domains and user policies ect and it just wont click icon_sad.gif

Really need to get a job where i deal with all day would help me.
  • Options
    Thanks keatron that explanation, it has helped, but just one thing, how do you see it, is it a in windows explorer is a a folder is it a drive letter ive got one laptop running windows server 2003 and apparently it has an active directory but i cant see it......
    Oh and RobsonGTO Im having problems user policies, We just have to keep reading about it from diffrent sources, I like typing it in google ans having a read.

cheers for the help everyone
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    duct boy,

Go to Start>All Programs>Adminstrative Tools> Active Directory Users and Computers. If you have a domain, it's installed, and it will be there in Admininstrative Tools.

Good luck on your studies.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    StarterStarter Member Posts: 169
    duct boy wrote:
    Thanks keatron that explanation, it has helped, but just one thing, how do you see it, is it a in windows explorer is a a folder is it a drive letter ive got one laptop running windows server 2003 and apparently it has an active directory but i cant see it......
    cheers for the help everyone

You could also open up Manage Your Server from Administrative tools and it'll show you everything that's installed on the server like Active Directory, DNS server and File server...
  • Options
    Stryder67Stryder67 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Shouldnt you need to install the dhcp and dns server "modules" or " services" on yer server machine before disabling those two functions your router is providing? Am grindn on70-270 so havent gotten to 290 yet but Ill be setting up a home lab as well
    KISS - Keep it simple Stupid
  • Options
    infiniinfini Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can someone explain more what the options "enable LMHOST lookup box" and "disable netbios over tcp/ip" do and how they affect the logon process?
  • Options
    crudetechcrudetech Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to add to the reason it was taking so long to login to domain. yhe process it takes to resove names is as follows.. first it looks in the Host file, then DNS, then NetBios name cach, then , if still not found it does a broadcast, then if no success it looks in the LMHOST file.. my guess is being that one or more were enabled that was causing the problem. Keith Bays